What rights do in-laws really have?

To top off the incredible situation I described before, they all believe they are entitled to have a relationship with my 3 kids. My 2nd son was born with a patch of gray hair in the front of his head. I told everyone it was a direct result of the stress inflicted by my in-laws. I have said this from the time I was pregnant with my 1st. If you can not respect me you do not deserve to have a relationship with them. I do not have any problem telling them this. Does anyone think this is too extreme? My family has been nothing but loving and respectful to my husband and my family since before we were married and it really hurts that his family does not even come close to a fraction of the way my family treats us.

tiffpeep

Asked by tiffpeep at 10:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Relationships

• Girl u want my life cause u are not the only one in that situation I feel the same EXACT way. A lot of people feel that way to some degree. U are not the only one dude.
    Jess288

Answer by Jess288 at 10:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• ohhh "legally" they do have s o m e rights if that's what u where referring 2.
    Jess288

Answer by Jess288 at 10:48 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Do you really think that about the hair? My daughter was born with one patch of white hair (I never thought of it as gray) and it was a very very stressful unplanned pregnancy so hmm... am wondering now if there's something to that.
    I'd not keep them from the inlaws... I'm not overly fond of my inlaw (I dont' hate them, just don't mind not seeing one of them), but if they want to see my children, I'm not going to stop them, that would be cheating my kids (so long as they're not dogging me to the kids or hurting my kids feelings in any way).
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 10:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• In most states, grandparents have no rights if there are living parents that are capable of taking care of the minor children..

Anonymous

• I have a copy of some of the states "grandparent rights"...In Missouri, they don't exist! The husband or wife has to be deceased in order for certain visitation to be requested. I was hoping that wasn't their expectation!
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 10:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I think only if they request it and pay the money to fight for it
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 10:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I know exactly how you feel. My inlaws are just jerks. But MY dh thinks the world of them even though they never see their grandchild. I really don't think they have rights unless you both have passed. And I would suggest to make a living will stating who YOU wanted to give custody to incase that happened. Because if you both passed I think that the maternal grandparents automatically get the children but then the paternal grandparents can fight it, if you have the will with you AND your dh agreeing to it they can't fight it.
    Anonymous

• Well I am not sure of your situation or what rights your refering to be it legal or otherwise but I just wanted you to know your not alone. My father in law told me that it was a dissapointment I was pregnant and now that my son is here, he's 4 1/2 months old, he wants to see him, We live in a house that he owns (he doesn't live in it it's his mothers) and he feels he has the right to come up anytime. They use what was supposed to be our bedroom for storage so all three of us a crammed in one room. Sorry not trying to rant lol but your not alone
    Havahsmommy

Answer by Havahsmommy at 11:00 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• So basically, you don't like these people and you are judging them bc they are not perfect in your eyes and on top of that you want to keep them from having a relationship with their grandparents? That's just mean and controlling. My son's gf did that. She kept my two grandsons from us and now they are old enough to want us in their life they HATE their mother for what she did, keeping us out of their life. Do you want that? It's up to you.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:59 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• It depends on your state if they have rights or not. I have been through this and it wasn't fun. It depends on what they do to you. Do you think they would harm your children or do you think they have their best interests at heart? Don't keep them away just because they don't like you. Let them know the boundaries and that disrespect will not be tolerated. If they say or do something to offend you, tell them as soon as it happens and don't let it boil. Treat them like toddlers, keep putting them in "time outs" until they learn.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:26 AM on Apr. 8, 2009