Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice on babysitting long term

I have a friend who decided to start a family too early (before she graduated H.S.) Now she has two kids ages 2 and 3. She wants to go into the army so she can go to school, but has nowhere for her kids to stay. She had them stay with her aunt, but her aunt mistreated them and won't watch them again.
I would like to help her out by watching her kids again. What things should I consider before offering my home to her kids? What should the "rules" be as far as how much I should get paid? If the mom leaves for the Army and then doesn't pay, what should I do? Basically, I just want everyone's opinion on this. Thanks in advanced.


Answer Question

Asked by LDSMous at 11:05 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • I would ask for reasonable child support like a court would order in a divorce type thing, I say $200/week is fair. If she doesn't pay, take her to court and quit watching her kids.

    Answer by AudreyJ at 12:55 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • I would have something written up saying how much she is going to pay you, this way IF you don't get paid you can take it to the army. The military is big on making sure you pay who you owe, so they would take care of that for you. Things to consider would be, how will she feel when she gets home and her kids are more attached to you than to her? How will you feel when you take care of her kids for 6 months to a year and she gets home and takes them back? You need to both agree on how to handle things and know how she wants the kids raised so you can try to stay with in her boundaries on the major issues (discipline, food, manners that kind of thing). You need a Power Of Attorney (POA) saying you are responsible for the children and their medical needs. You need a military ID (she has to take care of that) so you can take the kids to the doctor if you live near a military base and they will be seen there.

    Answer by vabchmommy at 2:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.