Need advice on babysitting long term

I have a friend who decided to start a family too early (before she graduated H.S.) Now she has two kids ages 2 and 3. She wants to go into the army so she can go to school, but has nowhere for her kids to stay. She had them stay with her aunt, but her aunt mistreated them and won't watch them again.

I would like to help her out by watching her kids again. What things should I consider before offering my home to her kids? What should the

LDSMous

Asked by LDSMous at 11:06 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• If she will join the ARMY, she will not abandon her kids with you, her command will step in and interfere, there will be long long deployments, sometimes even 18 months at a time Are you prepared for that? If so, you are a hell of a friend by basically raising her children for her. If she is tha young, it seems to me that you may be too, so think long and hard, it won't be easy raising those kids as your own basically. When she goes to boot camp, she won't be able to get out of there for however long it is, so basically you are stuck with the kids. Isn't there any other family member that can step in? I mean it is noble of you to even consider doing it but it is a huge responsibility and you will pretty much be on duty 24/7 are you sure that is what you want to do?
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 11:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Um I am all for serving your country..but at this point it is high time she steps up to the responsibilities she already has. She is a mother of two young kids who deserve to have a mom. She needs to pull up the big girl panties and find a way to finish her education without neglecting her kids.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:52 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• If you are going to do this, make sure your arrangement is in writing and overseen by a lawyer. For example, is she going to have any financial reponsibility for these children? The details need to be agreed upon and written down. If you decide to help her, get some photographs of her so you can keep showing them to the children, explaining that their mother is working hard to make a better life and to serve her country.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2009