Playdate Question

Within the past month, I have had a friend from my daughter's preschool over twice for a playdate (along with the mom). We have not gotten a return invite. Now my daughter is asking to have the girl over again. It seems to me that after two playdates, the other mom would have invited us over if she was interested in pursuing a friendship. I don't know if I should make another invitation or just wait and see if they invite us over. It just feels a little pathetic to keep inviting someone for playdates who never recipricates!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If they seem to be having a good time, I would invite them again. You have no idea why they haven't invited you over. Maybe she keeps a really messy house, maybe there's just something in her life that makes her not want to have people over. Or you could ask if they want to do something, if you don't want to have them over. Ask if they want to go to the zoo, or a children's museum, or the park, etc.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I really dislike the whole "I had you over so now it's your turn" thing. My grandmother and aunts used to do that. I wasn't allowed to go play with my own cousins at times because we were "just over here, it's (my mom's) turn now".

Getting together and friendship isn't about keeping it even. It's about getting together and having fun.

I agree, though, that if you don't want to have them over again then make arrangements to meet elsewhere.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:52 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• " I really dislike the whole "I had you over so now it's your turn" thing. "

For me, it's not so much about keeping tabs, I guess I'm just worried that the reason we haven't received a return invite is that the mom isn't that interested in hanging out with me. I'm new to playdates, and since at the preschool age moms are expected to stick around, it stands to reason that if the mom doesn't really enjoy your company that much you probably won't get invited. It feels like dating. I guess I just really want to know, at what point should I go from assuming that the other mom's been busy as opposed to not interested.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I would just ask if she would like to get together again. She may not want toinvite you over to her house for...whatever reason.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 9:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• If she wasn't that interested in hanging out, she probably wouldn't be coming over to your place and would decline your invitations.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:10 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• jUST CALL HER UP SAY "ITS ME AGIAN MARGET, WANTA PLAY?" AND SEE WHAT SHE SAYS, DONT SUGG EATHER PLACE AND SEE WHERE IT GOS.. IF SHE DOESNT SAY ANYTHING, THEN JUST BRING THEM BACK OVER, THEY MAY NOT HAVE, CLEAN, OR ANYTHING THAT YOU DO... WHAT IF YOU GET THERE AND DONT EVEN WANT TO SIT ON THE CHAIR CAUSE IT HAS DOG PEE IN IT OR SOMETHING... LOL JUST LET THE CONVO TAKE ITS COURSE..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 1:58 PM on Apr. 8, 2009