Pregesterone

What part does Progesterone play? I have heard of women taking it to help keep pregnancies...but I am not sure what its all about. I am afraid to google, because I am one of those get too much info and freak out types! they tested my progesterone today along with my HCG levels. what should i expect?

thanks

tomib

Asked by tomib at 11:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• One of progesterone's most important functions is to cause the endometrium to secrete special proteins during the second half of the menstrual cycle, preparing it to receive and nourish an implanted fertilized egg. If implantation does not occur, estrogen and progesterone levels drop, the endometrium breaks down and menstruation occurs.

If a pregnancy occurs, progesterone is produced in the placenta and levels remain elevated throughout the pregnancy. The combination of high estrogen and progesterone levels suppress further ovulation during pregnancy. Progesterone also encourages the growth of milk-producing glands in the breast during pregnancy.

High progesterone levels are believed to be partly responsible for symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS), such as breast tenderness, feeling bloated and mood swings. When you skip a period, it could be because of failure to ovulate and subsequent low progesterone levels.
    ivntee07

Answer by ivntee07 at 12:00 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• someone googled lol...j/k
    anything over 10 unmedicated is good. anything over 15 medicated (i.e. clomid etc...) is good....that is what they are looking for as far as your progesterone level on day 21it will let them know that you have ovulated
    MiraclesDHappen

Answer by MiraclesDHappen at 2:09 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Your progesterone will sustain a pregnancy until the placenta is fully formed and functioning. Throughout most of your first trimester, until around the 11th week, the fetus is sustained by progesterone, rather than by nutrition, etc. because there is no umbilicus/placenta. I lost my first pregnancy because my body does not produce enough progesterone. For my second pregnancy I had to use progesterone in the form of a vaginal suppository (placed at the cervix) from the time we did the deed, through confirmation of pregnancy, and all the way through week 17, for safe measure. The pregnancy was a success.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 8:19 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Wow thanks everyone for your answers!
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 5:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2009