Baby food at 4 months?

My son is four months old and has been doing good with his cereal, but he doesnt really like it and spits it out. And at my sons 4 month check up his doctor told me I could start feeding him veggies and fruits. So I have been giving him a little bit of sweet potatos the last few days. Hes a spitter, and spits um up half the time but absolutly loves them. Do you think its too soon, for him to be having this even though the doc said it was fine?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started givin my LO cereal, fruits, and veggies at four months. No I don't think it's too soon. You are going to know what's best for your baby though. And some babies are just spitters, regardless of what you're feeding them. So I wouldn't worry about that.

A lot of people will tell you that the AAP recommends waiting until 6 months, but they actually recommend starting 4-6 months. Here a link: http://www.aap.org/publiced/BR_Solids.htm

Good luck and have fun!!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 10:12 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• well, IMO its too soon. are you breastfeeding or formula feeding? breastmilk is all that a baby needs for the first year, everything else is supplemental. formula will eventually NEED to be supplemented, although i still think its too early. the basic recommendations for beginning solids are: 1) can sit up unsupported, 2) can keep food in his mouth (doesn't push it back out with his tongue while trying to eat it) and 3) is 6 months old. i would wait, if it were me
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 11:34 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My son did. So I would say if the doctor says its ok then it is.. but it's still your baby and if you dont think he is then I wouldnt give it to him anymore thats just me.
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 11:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• i read that when they spit up to wait a littel, his stomach is not ready. I would wait few weeks. he might like the expirience of eating.
    DaryaK

Answer by DaryaK at 11:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• He does awesome with the veggies and doesnt push them out. He grabs ahold of the spoon, and tries to shove it in his mouth.lol. And he tries like hell to sit, up, and almost has it down.
    Anonymous

• Oh and he spits up everything anyway, not just the food.
    Anonymous

• Formula doesn't ever NEED to be supplemented. It also can be used as the sole source of nutrition for a baby for the first year and longer if needed, until nutrition is coming from normal food.

If it's that he spits everything up, then I doubt it's the food. Is the doctor doing nothing about it? Has he been checked for reflux? Just wondering.

Try thickening the fruit and veggies with cereal. That might help with the spitting if it's a matter of him not being "able" to keep anything down. Just a little rice to thicken the baby food up.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:33 AM on Apr. 8, 2009