CRAYONS???

okay so my daughter turns 3 in august..and ever since december she started eating her crayons...i realized what she began doing when id see the crayon in her teeth etc.i dont know how to get her to stop this habit..ive explained and even took them away for a while...so then i switched to markers but took them away cuz she would write all over herself..so then i got her the crayola wonder makers that only color on the special paper and nothing else...but anyways my question is has anyone ever had the crayon problem??i keep catching her chewing on colors...where she gets them,i have no clue....so does anyone have any ideas on how to get her to stop eating colors???i mean i know they say non-toxic but i see color left over in poop and im getting really worried..help plz :/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you're seeing colored bits in her poop because the human body doesn't digest wax.

Take the crayons away until she can quit eating them. Or, make sure you're right next to her when shes using them. I wouldn't leave her unattended with them because she could chomp off a bit large enough to make her choke.
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 12:07 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Yeah, the bits of it in her poop is no problem. I have seen every color of the rainbow. The only thing to worry about is if she gets a chunck to big and possibly chokes. But I would do as the pp said and just sit with her when she uses them. She grow out of it. My two oldest did. My youngest still does it, but she isn't even two yet.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:50 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I'd watch her every time she uses crayons for awhile, and every time she puts one in her mouth, the coloring activity is over. She's old enough to get it by now, you just need to let her know it's not ok.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:00 AM on Apr. 8, 2009