down syndrome test???

okay so i started my prenatal care late 5 months...so then i finally switched to another doctor..and she asked me if i took the test you take around 18 -20 weeks..the one that detects if it may have down syndrome...and well i said no because i started my prenatal care late..so she gave me a refferal to another doc a few cities a way from where i live that specialize with down syndrome...the question is im turning 33 weeks does anyone know what they do in the test to detect it??..if i should even bother in driving all the way over there??i mean i only got acouple of weeks left...or if the test itslef could put my baby in danger..???help :/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would just wait now. There's no point to spend the money for the test...which has a high false positive rate as it is...when you are just gonna find out for sure in a few weeks anyways.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:12 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• they just test your blood, possibly a more in depth ultrasound. they may offer a amniocentecis (sp?) test but you can always decline it.

Here's the big question, Would knowing yes or no change your mind at all as to if you would love this baby and take care of it? If It would not change your mind, why bother with the test. that's just my opinion though.

good luck :)
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:13 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I would not do the test, there are way to many false positives and the main reason they do it is to give you the option to abort if you feel you cannot handle a downs baby, so I never did the test I did it not knowing what it was they said they were testing my DNA I said okay then the called to give me the results and when she said triple screen I did not want to hear the results. No matter if hes down or not I will love him regardless but they do the test at 18 weeks because they need to detect it but as well you can still do an abortion at that time frame. So I wouldn't do it unless you would have second thoughts about your baby if it's positive!!
    momof4520

Answer by momof4520 at 12:46 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I wouldn't do it. The outcome wouldn't change my decision to keep the baby so I wouldn't stress myself over it. My friend had a false positive with the blood work and they did the genetic testing but got nowhere since her hubby is adopted. A level II scan wasn't conclusive either and at that point they gave up because it wouldn't change their decision to keep the baby or not. In the end he was perfectly fine! He'll be 4 this summer.
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 1:05 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• thanks i made up my mind....im not going...you guys are right it wouldnt change anything and i shouldnt b stressing over it...:]

i feel much better :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Apr. 8, 2009