how do i prepare myself and my home for baby?

i am 19 and 6 months pregnant. the closer i get to my due date the more afraid i am that i will not be prepared in time. there are so many things i dont know that im afraid i wont do things right. heres just a few. how many times a day should i feed him/her ? how do i care for the umbilical cord. how to i change a boy in the beggining if hes cicumcised? whats a good temperature to keep the house. how do i bathe him/her. and thats just a few. please help!!!!! im terrified of doing everything wrong. im open to any advice or suggestions. thanx

nvr_wise_enuff

Asked by nvr_wise_enuff at 12:14 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You will be just fine....feeding is on demand if you breastfeed or if you formula feed. They will explain the umbilical cord care to you in the hospital before you take him home. if the boy is circ'd then you just need to put some ointment on him but the circ should wait til he's a little older. Pediatricians don't always do that good of a job. The temp don't worry about. Do what's comfy for you and put your little one in a blanket. Don't worry about the bathing until the cord falls off, then they have great little tubs you can just put in the sink. I have one and still use it and my girl is 7 months...you'd be surprised at how much just comes naturally...congratulations and if you wanna chat feel free to message me anytime if you have any questions.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:19 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Always feed a newborn on demand. Eventually you will both find a schedule/rhythm. The umbilical cord you just leave alone, no water, no alcohol, only clean around it if the baby manages to get it wet, and if you have a boy they have NO control over their sprinkler so it's bound to happen. My son isn't circumcised, do some research on it before you commit to having it done, it's not medically necessary. Baby is usually fine in the same temp house as you and 1 more layer of clothes than you have on. I brought my son into the shower with me because he'd wail if I gave him a bath but a baby tub with a sling will work great, Fisher Price makes a wonderful one.

Take a newborn class at the hospital you're delivering at, that's what they're there for :) Good Luck!
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 12:20 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• RELAX!!!

"how many times a day should i feed him/her ?"

As often as baby wants is a good rule. It's the only rule in breastfeeding, in fact.

" how do i care for the umbilical cord. how to i change a boy in the beggining if hes cicumcised?"

You'll be given instructions on that at the hospital. No worries.

"whats a good temperature to keep the house. "

A comfortable one. Baby's not all that different from you!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:35 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• If you want to you can message me, I am full of advice from reading up on books, and also I have a four month old and was worried about everything. Even after I got home with him, I went through the baby blues and was freaked about everything and was always crying. Its normal. You can get the info from your doctor, and the book what to expect in the first year is awesome. But if you want to message me I will try and answer all of your questions that I can.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 1:01 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I noticed that there are a few variations on answers here, so I'm just going to put what my doctor, the baby's doctor, the hospital, AND family members have all told me lol and I know from personal experience that these work: Feeding IS on demand. Don't even attempt to make a schedule for at least a month, usually longer! Be careful, though - not all cries are hungry cries! Don't worry - you'll learn the difference. As for the umbilical cord, they do tell you how to care for it, but if you're curious: they'll give you mini alcohol pads. You clean around the bottom (where it's connected to the belly button) with the little pad every time you change a diaper. It helps to dry it out and fall off. It WILL look gross but it falls off pretty fast! =) As for the circumcision.. You'll get a lot of opinions on here that say when to do it. IMHO it's best to do in right in the hospital after birth when they won't remember it.
    wirelessbubbles

Answer by wirelessbubbles at 7:26 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• [[ran out of space so I'm continuing!]] Letting them make the decision when they're older is fine and dandy but it's really painful! We had my son circumcised and until it's healed you put a dab of ointment on the sore spot, and they give you these little squares of cloth to put over it so the ointment won't rub off on the diaper, then just put the diaper on. The ointment holds the cloth square in place. It's really easy. As for the temp thing... In my grandmother's words (she's a nurse) "Babies need one more layer than you do". Example.. if you're wearing jeans and a tshirt, baby should probably be in a long sleeved shirt, pants, and socks. When they're really young a thin blanket might not be a bad idea either, depending on the temperature. If you think your baby is too hot USE THE BACK OF YOUR HAND ON THEIR STOMACH. Baby's foreheads are not reliable like ours. And lastly, the bathing. At first you just wash them quickly
    wirelessbubbles

Answer by wirelessbubbles at 7:30 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• [[still not done... I apologize for writing so much!!]] At first you just wash them quickly with a damp washcloth. They're going to scream and cry but it's over quickly. You can't give them a "real" bath until the cord falls off. Even then it'll be in a teeny baby tubby, probably next to your kitchen sink lol! I don't know about anybody else, but my ds didn't enjoy baths for about 2 months. He loves them now though - he's 9mo. I really hope I helped!! Sorry for making you read a novel! =D
    wirelessbubbles

Answer by wirelessbubbles at 7:32 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Oh I almost forgot - RELAX! I'm 19 and preggo with number 2! I had my first the month before I turned 19, I'll be 20 when this one pops out (yes they are very close together lol) and I was worried about doing everything wrong too. You'll do great!! =)
    wirelessbubbles

Answer by wirelessbubbles at 7:34 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• it is normal to be stressed your baby will tell you alot get sleep as much as you can don't worry at first about laundry and everything they grow up so fast !!!!!!!!!!!
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 9:03 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Your mothering instincts will kick in..you'll be surprised. I remember worrying over the same things, but it all will just happen naturally. You've already gotten some great advice..no need in repeating it all. Congrats!
    sheena696

Answer by sheena696 at 9:09 AM on Apr. 8, 2009