Why do you homeschool your children?

I am serious, I am asking a serious question. If you do not homeschool please do not answer explaining why you do not, I will ask that question later.
Homeschooling Mama's, why do you do it? Is it worth it? What other actvities are your children in so they can make friends? Are you going to do it straight through highschool? How do you cope being home with then all day?
I am not for the CDC recommened vax sched. I do vax my younger children, but they only get one shot every six months. The Dr. Told me that if I didn't vax him for his all his shots by his 4th bday he would not be allowed to enrol in school. We move all the time, so homeschooling might not be a bad idea for us. But I need honest answers on how and why you do what you do. So please enlighten me. Also do your kids take the state exams? If so where do they stand in them? Thanks for the info

Vanessannd

Asked by Vanessannd at 12:33 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well I dont homeschool, and still havent decided whether or not I will, my daughter's still only eleven months old afterall. I know I wont do public schools, that's all I really have set in stone so far.

BUT, I was going to tell you, you can get exemptions from the state and your children CAN go to day-cares and schools even if they havent had any vaccinations. Depending on your state, you can get medical, religious, or philisophical exemptions. Have you joined any of the non/selective vax groups here on cafemom? They have a LOT of information about not vaxing and being able to have your children enrolled in school. My daughter isnt vaccinated. I'm either waiting til she's two or entirely skipping them, I havent decided that yet either.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 12:37 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I homeschooled my daughter for 3 years. It was a great experience, we both enjoyed it. We joined a "homeschool group" in our local area, and got really involved with them. She also got a little $ from the State so we used it for voice lessons, horse lessons fun stuff like that. I also enrolled her in the local charter homeschool so that she could go on fieldtrips. That was awesome! The ONLY reason that I quit was because it was becoming very difficult for me trying to be mom and teacher. She wasn't giving me the "teacher" respect- lol...but, I do not regret the homeschooling years and neither does she. She now goes to a charter school. Good luck with your decision
    Ilovemy5joys

Answer by Ilovemy5joys at 12:44 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I homeschool my three kids. I do it because we only get one life. I don't want thiers wasted in school learning things they will never use and I do want to foster the love of learning in them. We expect our children to take the responsibility of learning. I will not send my younger kids to high school. My oldest, I might send to high school. I haven't made that decision yet.
    My kids are learning better at home. They did attend public school for a couple years, but then they were not doing well with others and the teachers. (My kids really didn't care for thier teachers.) My oldest does Jujitsu and homeschool teens group, my youngest does girl scouts and has many friends. My middle one is in OT and PT and doesn't want to have anything to do with "anyone outside the family." I am ok with it because it really is a personality issue and he has social issues he is being seen for.
    I LOVE being with my kids 24/7. I really do.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:23 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I have been homeschooling for six years. The reasons are numerous, but the biggest is probably to get an education that is tailor-made. We can go as fast or as slow as we need on each subject. If they get a concept quickly, we can move on quickly. If they fail to grasp a concept, we can slow down until the fully understand it. We can switch curriculum if something isn't working. We can delve deeply into anything they are truly interested in.

We have a fairly active homeschool group, so we meet with them weekly. My kids have many friends, and have been in: boy scouts, t-ball, soccer, lacrosse, music lessons, archeology classes, swim lessons, ski lessons, art classes, etc. Our homeschool group has weekly ski days during the winter, so we ski a lot as a group, and my kids also go skiing on weekends with the public school friends. My boys have a pretty active social life.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:45 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• cont:

We take homeschooling year by year, and will continue as long as it is working for us.

We are not Home all day. We school in the morning, and it only takes 2-3 hours most days. In the afternoon my kids will play with their friends and take music classes, we will go to the library, run errands, etc. I'm lucky if I have 2 days a week that we are home all day!

Homeschooling is one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. Our whole family benefits; my DH gets to spend lots of time with the kids as well. The kids are well educated and popular, we have a close-knit family with lots of supportive friends, and we have the flexibility to take vacations when we want.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:51 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• We live in Texas, so the requirements to homeschool are minimal; we have to tell the school and show our projected curriculum, that's it. I am a second-generation homeschooler, I was homeschooled until high school. I find that it's totally worth it. I can let my children go at their own pace, faster in some subjects (like math) and average speed in others (like writing). I get to choose what he's reading, so he finds it more fun because he can read Goosebumps and Spiderwick and Harry Potter (and sometimes Michael Crichton). My son is is the Cub Scouts and a dance class. I don't know how long we'll do it, it's more than half his decision. As for them being home all day, I do get tired but it's totally worth it.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:44 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• why do you do it? I don't like our ISD, the state-madated testing, or the NCLB rule
    Is it worth it? Yes
    What other actvities are your children in so they can make friends? None. You don't need "activities" for kids to make friends. They're capable of that all on their own.
    Are you going to do it straight through highschool? Probably
    How do you cope being home with then all day? I never understand this question. Someone shouldn't have to "cope" with being with their own kids (No offense)

As for the shots, as previously mentioned, your child does not have to be vaccinated to attend public school. Every state provides exemptions. Just fill out the form, and you're done.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2009