• In the Spotlight:

Tell me what you think about home-schooling, public, and private schooling. What do you think is best and safest.

mamanpnk

Asked by mamanpnk at 12:36 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I do not agree with home-schooling...I think it deprives children of the opportunity to interact with other kids their age and to learn to respect other adults in authority i.e. their teachers. I have been thinking about putting my son in private school. There are just too many kids in public schools nowadays and I feel it is so much easier for kids to get into trouble at a public school because the rules are so less strict and so many big deals are just let go with no punishment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My kids have been to public school and private school. I prefer public school over private. I can only speak from my experience but the private school (Christian base) was NOT what I expected! The kids were worse than public school, the whole thing sucked. The kids are more clickish there and the teachers were more friends than an adult authority.
    I've never home-schooled.....it's just not for me. I don't have the patience to do it.....lol
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 12:41 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My personal opinion is based off of people that I have met. Anyone can turn into a bad teenager I guess. But I had a friend who was home schooled, she led a very sheltered life, and turned out to be a drugie and got pregnant at a young age. And most private schools are usually religous schools, and then you are forcing a religion on your child who may have a different view point, and they may break more rules and get into more trouble. But public school can also have that affect. I believe that if you raise your child right they will know right from wrong. I never got into drinking, and swore id never do anything because of how I was raised, but after my mom died and my dad started leaving me and my older sister alone we got into a lot of trouble. But I see nothing wrong with public school. It gives your child a more rounded experience to make their own choices.;
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:47 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• OH and every teenager that I have ever met from a private school, seemed to be worse with drugs, and partying and sex and such. But it also depends on how you raise your kid.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• As the eldest of five homeschooled students, who started out in public school and chose as a teenager to be homeschooled (despite my good grades and friends) I am very in favor of homeschooling! It's an awesome option with a lot of benefits. I am not going to take the same tack as my anti-homeschooling friends above have and bash public school and bring up anecdotal evidence I might have that ps fails students socially and academically. I think that's counter-productive. Homeschooling provides an opportunity for the parents to tailor the education to the child; it allows amazing freedom to learn and to cultivate a love of doing it. Homeschooling families tend to be very closely bonded, and the opposite of the horror stories tends to be the usual reality: the children go on to live productive, independent, ordinary, satisfying lives. The benefits are innumerable, and the drawbacks are nonexistent or easily dealt with.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:28 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I attended a private, Christian School (which was not cliquish and the teachers were anything but our friends lol). IMHO.....
    Public: My friends in public dealt with bomb and weapon threats all the time and we lived in a suburban/country, relatively wealthy setting! The student-teacher ratio is too high and government standards were too low. I'm sure the education they got was fine.

Private: Great student-teacher ratio. Parents were listened to and heeded (because they could always take their tuition elsewhere) as customers. I had an excellent education and my graduating class was 100% college bound (which is rare).

Home-Schooling: I did this for one year and HATED it. There's less interaction with other children, social skills do not have as much opportunity to be honed and I'm amazed at the amount of parents that feel their qualified to teach ALL subjects K-12 with expertise (if you can, that's awesome!).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:18 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• There is no "best" for all people.

For some, homeschooling is indeed best. But homeschooling requires a level of dedication that most parents just don't have.

For others, private school is the best option. But money can be a problem, and since many private schools are religious, there may be philosophical differences.

For US...you can't beat public school. The ones we have here are fantastic, and my son has gotten a lot of help for his Asperger's through the school. He wouldn't have gotten that anywhere else.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:21 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE THINK HOMESCHOOLING IS SO FREAKIN HORRIBLE. I AM GOING TO HOMESCHOOL MY SON AND THE GROUP WERE GOING THROUGH HAS 2/3 FIELD TRIPS EVERY MONTH. THERE WILL BE PLENTY OF INTERACTION WITH OTHER KIDS. PRIVATE SCHOOLS AND PUBLIC SCHOOLS ARE NO DIFFERENT THAN EACHOTHER. THEY BOTH SUCK...WENT TO PUBLIC THEN CATHOLIC THEN PUBLIC THEN CHRISTIAN AND GRADUATED HOMESCHOOL. PRIVATE SCHOOLS TAKE IN ANY KID THAT IS KICKED OUT OF PUBLIC SCHOOL. SEEN IT HAPPEN TOOOO MANY TIMES. SO FOR US PUBLIC SCHOOLS AND PRIVATE SCHOOLS ARE NO DIFFERENT...AND HOMESCHOOLING IS BEST FOR US.
    oddballj

Answer by oddballj at 7:17 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I love how this says best AND SAFEST. It makes me giggle a little bit... as if you can have both at the same time. Yeah, homeschooling is a lot SAFER than public, just because you know there won't be some crazy kid with daddy's gun (unless it's YOUR crazy kid...), but really, public schools aren't dangerous places. I think homeschooling is okay for a couple years maybe... but even if you make sure your child gets a lot of interaction with other children outside of school, they're missing out on a lot of important life skills/events. It's a hard choice, but personally I would put them in a public school.
    wirelessbubbles

Answer by wirelessbubbles at 7:21 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Wirelessbubbles...can you please tell me what important life skills/events that home schooled children miss out on?
    greeneyezopened

Answer by greeneyezopened at 8:08 AM on Apr. 8, 2009