• In the Spotlight:

What can i do?? My son is a picky eater.

Lindsey2006

Asked by Lindsey2006 at 1:07 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They say you should introduce a new food a few times, or in different forms. Say you are trying to get him to eat broccoli, you can try it raw, then steamed, then with cheese on top, that kind of thing. Or say you want him to eat yogurt and he loves strawberries add strawberries to his yogurt. My daughter is very picky, I put green beans on her plate about 15 times before she even touched them, then she kind of ate 2 and was done. But when I snuck them there again a week later she ate all of them. I try to make sure there is something there I know she will eat, she loves fruit so she gets some form of it with every meal so I know for sure that even if she doesn't eat whatever else I put on her plate she will eat that. Or if I really want her to eat something I tell her after she eats this many bites she can have an apple. At least that way she tries it, if she doesn't like it thats fine too but at least she tried.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:19 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I actually just asked about this earlier today! You still need to make sure he gets a wide range of foods and nutrients. Most moms agreed that they started off picky but stayed picky only if mom ALLOWS it. Give him two or three items per meal to choose from (as you probably would do anyway for most meals) and if he still doesnt want those he can decide not to eat. I know it sounds harsh, but he will give in and won't starve himself.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:22 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I think that it is also important to watch what you say infront of your children. I always make it a point to never say that I dislike something in front of her. Lead by example so to speak.

In addition I never make exceptions to the dinner menu. If she doesnt like what we are eating, she doesnt get anything else. I am not going to make her a bowl of cereal or something else she likes just because she doesnt want to eat her veggies or fruits. She is really good about signing and telling me when she is finished, but she sits at the table until everyone else is finished. There are very few things that she wont that I put in front of her.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 1:22 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Here is what some mom's said about this who have gotten past your stage. hope it helps.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:24 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Tell him you make one meal a day. If he didn't like it after trying a bite, he can make himself a sandwich.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:58 AM on Apr. 8, 2009