allowed to graduate

I read in a paper that this kid in high school wants to gradute in his dress blues instead of a cap and gown which is policy ...the principle said no and now his mommy is taking it to the school board and I'm sure they're going to say no..in my opinion I think he should graduate in his cap and gown its high school not boot camp...what do you all think..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• i think he should be in his cap and gown. i'm all for supporting the troops, my husband is navy, brother, brother in law and sister are marines. so don't try to say anything about that. but its high school, not a military function and he should be in cap and gown like everyone else there, just b/c he is in the military the exception should not be made for him. thats crap and i can't even fathom a command that would support him in arguing this
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:07 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• that's funny do they make fun of each other??you know the typical Navy Marine thing....my husband was in the Navy...anyway I think he should graduate in cap and gown if they allow him to wear his dress blues they open up pandoras box
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• oh yeah they do! its hillarious to see them all together, especially if my dad is there because hes retired navy so they all start going on and on and on....jarhead this, squid that. and my sister just graduated boot camp in jan so shes still all crazy gung ho the marine core is always right so that makes it even funnier b/c she will quote someone and my dad will be like ummm no
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:16 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I'm a Navy Vet, and my dh is Active Duty Navy closing in on retirement. I think he should graduate in his cap and gown. As important as his military service is, this is not about that. It's about the successful completion of his public (or private) school education, that he has completed 13 yrs (if you count kindergarten) of education.

Now, I could see a POSSIBLE exception to this, if, say, he was in ROTC at his school and all the graduating ROTC that have enlisted wear their uniforms or something, but there is time enough to show off his uniform and his pride in service later. Or if he was graduating from a military academy of some sort.

Could he wear it under his cap and gown, then he could pose in some of his pics in his uniform, or wear it to dinner or something.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:26 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Oh, maybe, if the school wanted to be nice, and if they had a printed program with all the grads names in it, they could do something like put an * next to all grads going on to college or trade school and a ** next to all going into the military and a *** for Peace Corp, something like that.

But only if they want to - like I said, this day isn't about his military service, as much as he should be proud of it. It's about graduating high school.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:28 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• wear it under his cap and gown
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:35 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• i think ppl should be able to wear whatever they want..cap and gown or not..i didnt wanna wear my cap and gown, and they told me i had to, so i just didnt go
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:31 AM on Apr. 8, 2009