my son likes to play with make up and girl clothes, he is only 3 but is this normal?

iammommyJess

Asked by iammommyJess at 2:41 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my little brother did as well. you have to think, he looks up to you, so what he sees you doing he wants to do. i say just let him be, if you freak out about it, he won't understand why. my daughter is 3, she pretends to shave her face and has tried to pee standing up (she walked in on him ONCE when she had just turned 2, i thought they are supposed to forget that kinda stuff)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:44 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• yep normal. Kids inprint on the parent they spend the most time with and at 3, he doesnt care youre a girl, he looks up to you and wants to be like you. Take it as a compliment and he will out grow it. That being said...best not to let him do this while other kids are arounbd lol or he could get some nbasty teasing. i also think its a good idea for lil boys to have a doll. Maybe if they were encouraged to "take care of a baby" more men would grow up to be hands on dads..instead of saying"thats the womans job", just a thought. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Exactly what pp said. If you "play" with makeup your kids will want to as well. Monkey see, monkey do. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Totally normal, and has no bearing on his sexuality later on. He may even say things about wanting to be a mommy or have a baby someday - this is also normal. At 3 they haven't figured out gender roles, and it doesn't mean anything except that he looks up to you and is exploring the world. Shaming him or trying to stop him will just confuse him; if you just let him play around it will do no harm. By the time he is 5 or 6 he will probably have very clear ideas of what is "for boys" and what is "for girls" even if you tried to KEEP him from developing that kind of dichotomy!

I say: Get pictures and show them to him when he's 14!!!!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:52 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• When my son was 3, he loved and I mean loved his older sisters purple fluffy dress up shoes. That kid wore them everywhere, to my embarassment. He is 12 now and I always get a good laugh when I think of those days. He is all boy, I think it is completely normal for him or any boy to dress up and do those things, he is probably trying to be like mommy.
    eblue3

Answer by eblue3 at 3:30 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• what's the worse case scenario? he turns out to be gay? so what?

make no mistake... the way he PLAYS when he's 3 has no bearing on his sexuality. he's playing. have plenty of dress-up options. a lot of boys play barbie, mostly because they're plentiful.

when we think "boy" we often picture sports, video games, and wild behavior. the old saying "boys will be boys" is too often used to explain wild and poor behavior. that gives all boys a bad name. it makes my boy look bad, when they make excuses for their own behavior.

boys can be compassionate, calm, and loving. allow your child to play as he wishes, within limits (don't let him break rules, hurt people,or be unsafe). encourage him to play as you'd like, but allow the imaginative play. he'll be ok. good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 8:33 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Boys need to explore, the same as girls. When I was a kid, I had 7 boy cousins! 7!! Needless to say, I loved GI Joe, guns, firecrackers, cap guns, mini-bikes, Hot Wheels and archery. But I still liked tea parties, tree houses, swinging, picking flowers for my mom, fishing with my dad, etc. I think it's good for boys to have both kinds of toys. My 2 and 4 year old (boys)have a baby doll they play with. They put it in a shopping cart and pretend they are at the store! I do think it helps boys learn to be more compassionate and loving. And who wouldn't want their son to be like that?
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 8:47 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Totally normal!
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 9:13 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Very, VERY normal. He is trying on different roles. This is truly no different than when he crawls around on the floor and barks like a dog. Or ties a towel around his neck and declares that he can fly.

As he gets older, he'll realize that he is a boy and that these are girl things. He'll also realize that no amount of barking will turn him into a dog and that he is not superman.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:01 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• OMGOODNESS.. YES.. ITS NO BIG DILL PICKLE... DONT SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF MAMA.. HEZ 3, THIS TO SHALL PASS..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 8, 2009