Does it bother anyone when they see someone who looks Mexican and is speaking Spanish to others?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Is this a serious question? That would bother someone? Wow.

My husband's family is Puerto Rican and speaks Spanish as fluently as English - and they often speak Spanish to one another. It only makes sense, so it's hard to take this question seriously.

I enjoy raising my children in a diverse country, and I am always excited to be near other people speaking any language other than English. I want my children to have a broad worldview and to value the learning of other languages and the understanding of other cultures. I do not wish for them to be insular, closed-minded, ignorant and uneducated.

What does bother me is racism, classism, and people thinking that English is the only language of value. I'm sad to suspect that here.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:14 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• no
    actress

Answer by actress at 3:16 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Hell yeah!!! This is america, not mexico. If you want to be here then speak english! If not then get the hell out!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• It doesn't bother me that people speak different language in their homes. However when they go out and do not speak or understand English that bothers me. I understand america is a melting pot and all that, but the language here is English I wouldn't move to Spain and not be able to speak Spanish, so why should they move here and not speak English?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:23 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• America's history comes from several different cultures that have several different languages, america wouldn't be america without its diversity and different languages.
    However I do believe that you should know english because it is americas primary language, and that if you are with a group of people and not everyone can understand ( let just say spanish) then I think its wrong to be speaking another language because that is rude, but if your with people and all speak spanish then why should it matter everyone understands what is being said, so no one is being left out
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 3:42 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• No. Because although as the," Oh so intellegent previous poster " said, this IS America, we are a melting pot of other cutures. So NO. It doesn't. No more then it doesn't bother me that other cultures speak thier languages.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:48 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Anon318 makes me realize the world is a lot more messed up than I realized. Bigotry and intolerance are the only languages I never want to hear.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:50 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Nope. It bothers me when people who allegedly speak and write English do it in such a way that you need a translator to understand them.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:43 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Nope. I live in an area where there are a few Germans and I here them speak German all the time to. I love it! I think it's fantastic that people speak different languages.

I do believe in learning the basics if you live here though. When I travel I learn as much of a language as I can because I definitely don't believe that everyone should know English, etc. I spent 2 weeks in Russia and picked up the language pretty easy, enough to get around. :)

I think that if two people, or a group of people, want to speak their language out in public, do so! It doesn't hurt anyone at all.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:41 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Yes the sth americans and such are renowned for speaking their own language all the time when they speak perfect english and think nothing of doing it around ppl who dont speak spanish......eg your partner may be spanish speaking and you are not....you run into someone he knows and they speak spanish to him knowing you are not spanish speaking.......(they can speak english) They are definitely rude and thoughtless and i have experienced this many times so yes it bothers me beyond belief ....... i have some spanish speaking friends who are westernised and wouldn't do this but are also educated......Some however are clueless and im sorry if i offend....
    helloistaken

Answer by helloistaken at 6:32 AM on Apr. 8, 2009