Are there any mothers out there with children with high functioning autism?

My son is 4 yrs old and was diagnosed with high functioning autism in the beginning of 2008. The lack of information is the worst and not knowing if you are making the right decisinon for your child. Any useful information would be helpful.

lizfb

Asked by lizfb at 3:30 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• continued from above

We have every expectation that our children will earn a college degree, and lead independent, productive lives from us one day--just like every parent wants for their children--but it will just take longer--and a lot more patience!!!

We have never blamed environmental causes or vaccinations for our children's autism--it doesn't matter what caused it! We'd rather focus all of our energy on TRUE SCIENTIFIC research (that includes blind and double blind, long and short term, causation vs. correlation studies, etc), as our children, or are here and now! We don't blame ourselves, we have no regrets, we know we didn't do anything "wrong" to cause it!

I'd be happy to point you in the direction of the services we acquired and the SOUND MEDICALLY based research we have stumbled upon (since no one seems to want to volunteer this information), if you have any specific questions or concerns. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:52 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• there is a group for autism moms
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 3:43 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• There are some groups here that will help. Was it Apserger's? Or some other point on the spectrum?

Answer by gdiamante at 4:27 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I have a 5 year old who is "borderline" PDD-NOS and ADHD. We'll have a decision this Friday, it seems. I also have a 3 year old who when he did the ADOS test the doctor said she would have to get back to me at our next meeting. He was "so borderline" that she couldn't make a decision without running his scores. His appointment is also this Friday.

I don't know what information you're looking for. I'm not sure what we're going to do yet. lol I do know that here we have a place that specializes in therapies for ASD and we're considering that for the 3 year old. We've also decided that if we do receive a diagnosis for our 5 year old we're probably not going to tell the school district unless it gets to a point where we really NEED to...if he's really struggling with school later.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:44 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Get in touch with the special education director at your local school district. Your son will probably be eligible for services if he is not attending school already. Typically, he should recieve specialized instruction using the applied behavior analysis method, occupational therapy and speech therapy.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 11:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• What she said! I was going to say the kinda the same thing but yeah what the reply before me said.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Both of my boys (7 & 5) are Autistic...they were diagnosed at age 2 1/2 and 3 respectively (had to wait forever for the 2nd child's appointment). My 7 year old has been "reclassified" as having Asperger's (high-functioning autism), my 5 year old is near the border of PDD-NOS and mild autism (31 on the C.A.R.S scale).

We have never used behavior modification medications (and hope we never have to!), have had in-home Early Intervention services, extensive amounts of private speech therapy, regular and special education preschools, and autistic/learning support programs in elementary school. We have recently begun Relationship Development Intervention (RDI) and understand SO much more than ever about autism and maximizing our children's development--particularly their dynamic intelligence (personality, expressiveness, relating to others), as opposed to static intelligence (core education, IQ) which has never been a concern!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:45 AM on Apr. 9, 2009