Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ahhhh. Help

Does anyone know what to do? My childrens father has not paid taxes in almost 10 years... I dont even know where to start. Do i get a laywer, or contact the irs to fix it ??? I know he should have paid, and now he wants to make it right... but doesnt know where to start... does anyone know???

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • I believe the IRS would want to have a chat with him first, but I would contact this group (or if they don't cover your area, a similar one. You can Google tax services companies who will help you work with the IRS to set up a payment plan.


    Answer by LoriKeet at 7:36 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • I would prob. do what the prev. poster said. Contact a local tax advocate that deals with back taxes. Of course, in the meantime, I would be putting together all the records that you can b/c the forms will have to be prepared for each year, although, not sure how far back the irs will go, but don't be surprised.

    The lawyer may be able to file a form for yourself so that you are not held accountable or penalized. But certain circumstances would have to be present.

    Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:23 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • The first thing that needs to be done is he will need proof of income from EVERY job he had over the last 10 years. If he doesn't have all the W-2 forms he will need to contact each and every company and get them. This will take some time and most likely some money. If he was self emploied or a subcontractor he will need to find proof of each and every job that he was paid for. If he was being paid under the table, he should also contact the person that paid him. If they didn't claim him he is going to get them in to hot water too. Once he has all the paperwork together THEN contact a Tax Specilist. They will contact the IRS and work things out. Each year will need to be filed under the laws of that year, again, this will take time - AnD MONEY. Then what ever is owed will have to be paid as well as fees and penalties.

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:53 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • You can also call the irs and see what w2's they have. Remember that the irs gets a copy of w-2's the same as the taxpayer. I do not have experience with calling and asking for these and do not have a clue how far back they would have them, but I do know that they do. Call and see what they can/will do. :)

    Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:12 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • BTW, was he self employed? Just a thot.

    Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:12 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.