How do I get my 14 mo. old son to stop playing with himself?

My son is 14 months old, and as soon as that diaper comes off, his hands are on his pee pee. He pulls, and tugs, and plays with himself, and it looks like it would hurt!! Honestly, I don't knwo what to do. I don't know if I tell him 'no' I dont know if I just take his hands off (i've tried this.. it doesn't work..) Or what to do.. Please help me

shenae704

Asked by shenae704 at 2:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have 2 boys, and when my oldest son was about that age, he discovered his winky. Every time the diaper came off, his hands went down there. It's perfectly normal and natural. Pretty soon, the novelty will wear off, until he becomes a teenager that is LOL!! In all seriousness, this is nothing to worry about.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:16 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I agree! My son is 20 months old, and has been "friendly" with his since he was 7 months old. I don't make a big deal out of it, because that just makes him want to do it more. I hear they grow out of it, but I am still waiting! My husband says "well, it will be his best friend for the next 80 years."
    Moon_goddess

Answer by Moon_goddess at 2:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• lol...I love these ladies answers! Yeah...I think it is normal and natural but if it gets to the point that its turnning red or the skin is getting irritated you will have to tell him no or remove his hands from it and say no, you don't him to injure himself.
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 3:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• It's a normal thing for boys to check out their equipment :) I usually tell mine if he wants to play with his penis, he can do so in his room, but not in public (he's almost 4). And I don't think this "phase" goes away any time soon from what I've been told by other moms..
    faeriemamma

Answer by faeriemamma at 4:54 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Ayden is 20 months and has been playing with his boy since 7 months... It is pretty gross cause soon as the diaper comes off he goes for his boy and pulls yanks etc on it and once it is hard he will flick it! I let him do his thing cause it is only human nature for him to want to explore his boy! Now when he is old enough to understand me I will tell him that if he wants to play with his boy then he has to do it by himself in his room not with anyone else in there! The child I use to babysit was 4 and would also explore his boy every once and a while and his mother told him that if he kept playing with it it would fall off... he would cry so I will not go that route!! Good luck!
    aydens_mama

Answer by aydens_mama at 10:09 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• they will do it till they cant any more! its what boys do!
    shetibo

Answer by shetibo at 10:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2008