does this sound right to you?

Okay so I am 39 weeks and had my doctor's visit yesterday and my doc checked everything like he always does but he suggested that I go ahead and have a c section being my firsth child and my baby weighting about 8 pounds and 4 ounces. He says that if I had him normal it would o alot of damage on my you know what and the pain would be unbearable.I really didnt want to have a c section but I kinda knew That was going to be my last and only option. I am having my c section on thursday and I am very scared....Most of the people I know that have had one say really abd things and I am frighten to death...Couldnt sleep at all im up just thinkin about what will happen and I know its something that I MUST DO AND ITS NO BACKIN DOWN NOW...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think that you could do it if you believe that you can if its your first theres no actual way to say that you can't because you haven't actually tested how big your pelvis is yet but my 1st daughter wasalmost 8 lbs and i was scared of a c section also and Im only 5'4" and a size 0 and she fit through my pelvis I think you should go with your instincts and tell your doc sure induce me but id like for my labor to progress as naturally as possible and then if i'm not able to do it myself then ill opt for c section. I feel that docs dont feel like its a big deal because they are used togiving ceserians all day anyways but midwives will do anything in order for you to have a vaginal delivery and only use ceserians as a last resort after every other failed option do you see a doc or a midwife? I feel like that has alot to do with the delivery choice! Id stick to what you want in the end its your labor final decision! good luck Wb
    brismama0303

Answer by brismama0303 at 7:38 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Why MUST you have a c-section? Many moms give birth naturally and have minimal damage to that most sacred of areas :P What makes your case different?

I had a c-section with my first and I'd give anything to have had him naturally, but it wasn't because it was painful, just because I wanted him naturally, and I didn't have a choice. I had preeclampsia and the baby went into distress when they induced labor.

If you are still concerned about the c-section, message me and I will tell you about mine..
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 7:39 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• This doesn't sound right to me. There must be something more? Why would a doctor perform surgery without trying vaginal birth first? Even if he thinks your baby is going to be big, induction is usually tried 1st. This is your first baby. From the info you have given, I'm confused. I pushed a 8 4 baby out just fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I had both of my daughters through c-section. Its not as bad as people think. It is scary but I survived both of them and there are mothers that have survived more than me. I agree that you should tell your doctor that you would like to try to give birth naturally first and then just have you prepared for a c-section if needed. If you have any questions about c-sections just message me and we can talk.
    agrafel

Answer by agrafel at 9:40 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• You are kidding me? Take some responsibility for your birth! Seriously. It is YOUR body. There is ZERO reason to even consider an induction/cesarean unless the baby measures 11 lbs, according to the ACOG. Obstetricians are so ignorant and infuriating.

You DO NOT NEED A CESAREAN and this is the dumbest reason to get one. 8 lbs is NOT big, you are putting yourself and your baby at risk for a doctor who is a moron. Cesareans increase the risk of infant and maternal mortality. They can lacerate your baby while cutting you open, they could puncture a bowel causing an infection.

Why would you agree to something unnecessary, you obviously don't believe it's right or you wouldn't be asking on here. Just call your OB and refuse the cesarean. He's doing it out of convenience: not concern for you.

Also, your baby could only be 6 lbs, not 8. He can not accurately weight the baby in utero! Gah!!!!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:48 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Seriously, it is very rare for a baby to not fit. Usually it's birthing position, etc, that causes the problem. Semi sitting and laying on your back are the worst positions. Squatting is one of the best. You need to research more before you allow this to happen, he is trying to take away all your rights to decide how to birth.

I delivered my 8 lb 6 oz 21.75 inch daughter vaginally, she was my first, without any issues. YOU can do it!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:50 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I didnt even read the responses, but seriouslay yo NEED to have one! BULL SHIT!!! All of my babies have been 9 pounds and above. And an ultrasound measurement can be WAY off on shit like this. Your Dr is doing it because it is easier for him, and doesnt care about the reprucussions for you. Ask him how many cases he has EVER had where a womans whooha had been damaged when no interventions had been used (like a vaccum) If you have one now, you will have hell trying to find a dr that will let you ever have a vaginal birth again. It is your body, but you dont HAVE to do anything, find a second opinion, do some research yuourself. You are allowing yourself to be victimized. And your baby too, this is the stupidest reason to have one. You wont be able to have your bay right away, you risk posible complications with the baby, a harder recovery for you, all out of laziness for a DR and you are LETTING him do this to you!!!!
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:04 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• my SO's aunt had a ten pound baby....NATURALLY. there's absolutely no reason why you couldn't at least try to give birth naturally. my son ended up being 8 lbs 10 oz. i ended up having an emergency c section but i tried to do it natural for almost 27 hours. if you don't want to give natural birth a go i would insist on it
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• lol. i meant if you DO want to give it a go oops
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 8, 2009