what do u do when both parents in the house share different views on discipline?

forgivingmom

Asked by forgivingmom at 8:27 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Since consistency is the key to discipline, it would be very wise to sit down together and come to an agreement as to what method is going to be used. Somebody will have to give up and give in. The best guideline would be to consider what is best for the child and not what each parent thinks about discipline in general. To not agree on a plan is to invite disaster into your home and confusion into the life of your child.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:42 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Well me and my DH were raised as different as the earth is from the sea. We run into this from time to time. For the most part we get along, but he grew up with guns in the home and I am against that, he grew up quite neglected and I had most everything. He is working on trying it my way and I appreciate that..but sometimes we but heads regarding spanking and such. He is a work in progress. I feel lucky because I am mom and I spend way more time with them so I pretty much get my way.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:34 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Well in our situation my hubby just went with what i believed in, and actually is right with me now. I don't believe in physical punishment only gently parenting. He now does also.
    mitty18

Answer by mitty18 at 12:23 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• As long as you are working it out in private, I think it's ok to feel differently but you must get on the same page when it comes to discipline. If he is "in charge" during a certain situation and he does not handle it the way you would, don't butt in. Let him handle it but discuss it together later away from the kids. My husband and I feel differently about different things but we discuss things concerning parenting in private. Kids NEED to see that their parents are a united front. Better yet, compromise and BE a team for your kids. Give and take :)
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 12:45 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Mom rules! LOL

Seriously, Im with the kids the most, so I usually do the disclipliing but if he has them and I'm not around, he will.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 1:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2009