Do you think abortion and adoption should be only the mother's choice?

Hypothetically speaking, if a woman gets pregnant during consensual sex do you think that if she does not want to keep the baby that only she has the right to decide on abortion or adoption?

What if the father of the unborn child wants to raise the child on his own as a single father? Do you think he should have the same rights as a mother who chooses to be a single parents against the man's wishes? Should he be able to legally insist the woman have the baby and get sole custody for himself from the courts?

My answer - I personally feel that both parents in this case should be required to sign off on adoption or abortion. It took 2 minds to decide to have sex I think it should take 2 minds to decide the fate of the child that they both created.

Octobersmom

Asked by Octobersmom at 9:12 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think if it is consensual sex then both parents should have to sign away their parental rights before abortion (even though I'm against it) and adoption. But if the mother was raped then she shouldnt have to find the prick to have him sign away his parental rights.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Maybe. Depending on the circumstances.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I agree with that.. but I also disagree.. If a woman is hte one that has to carry the baby, there are alot of risks to being pregnant and having a birth.. What if she's not ready and the dad wants to keep it, and she agrees, and then spends time in hospitals or has permanent health problems for it.. I don't know.. I do think that there are some daddys that should have a say. but at the same time.. I do believe its' more of a womans choice to have an abortion.. Now if she gives the baby up for adoption, the daddy should be first choice, no matter what. But if she agrees to abortion, I think it's ultimately her choice.
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 9:28 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Kind of............abortion is between woman and her doctor when she is single. Adoptions it's very hard  when you are single parent.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I really think it depends on how involved the father is. If they are married or living together exclusively, for example, then yes, I think the father should have some say. If it was just a one night stand or a casual relationship, then i think it should be the mother's choice 100%.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:35 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Birth fathers often have to sign off on an adoption already.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Should the mother be able to have an abortion for consensual sex. No, not really. But if the father is not involved, then i believe it is really her choice, especially if she feels that it's best for her. I believe any woman should have a choice. I had a doctor tell me that i should never have another child and that i should immediately be fixed, he wanted to schedule the appointment asap. Needless to say i ran as fast i could in the opposite direction. It was due to health problems, i was told having a child would likely kill me. Have you met my daughter? LOL. I'm alive and well and so is she. In fact having her had the complet opposite effect on my body, and the issue was resolved. Long story, email me if you want to know more.
    Anyway, back on subject. Yes the father should have rights as well. The father should be able to raise the child as long as he is willing to do it. agh, I'm running out of characters on here, sorry.
    smadar

Answer by smadar at 10:01 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• It depends on the situation for adoption. For abortion, I don't really know how to answer it. I can understand that Dads have rights too, but how the heck do you work out a situation where the mom wants to abort but dad doesn't.... would it be right to force the mom to carry a child when she doesn't want to? I don't think so.
    Adoption is another story, in circumstances where the father isn't say a convict on his way back to prison for the third time, or someone who wants to parent and can prove he is responsible enough to parent the child, then yes he should have rights. I still don't know if the father of the child I gave up signed over his rights, though I don't think it should have mattered. He had sex with me a few times, caused me heartbreak then went back to prison, and never would have supported his child, in fact he is still in prison (No, I didn't know he was a drug dealer when I was with him) Should he have rights?
    mikeyjavimami21

Answer by mikeyjavimami21 at 10:07 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• That's a really good question.
    Personally I don't think a man should have a choice over what the woman is going to have happen to her body. She could die in childbirth, she could lose her job, she could have diabetes, a whole lists of things and that would not happen to him, only to her. I think that it's something that should be discussed BEFORE they have sex that way she already knows what to expect.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 10:09 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I fully agree.

Answered at 9:35 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 by: jennijune_21View Profile
    Add to Friends
    Send a Message
    View Answers I really think it depends on how involved the father is. If they are married or living together exclusively, for example, then yes, I think the father should have some say. If it was just a one night stand or a casual relationship, then i think it should be the mother's choice 100%.
    cass_pick

Answer by cass_pick at 10:12 AM on Apr. 8, 2009