Do you think Teachers know when a parent does the project for them?

I have a friend that did her DD's entire project for school worth 75% of her grade. The Teacher gave her a 100 and is keeping the project to use as an example of what she wants later. The girl did nothing. I think it's unfair for the kids who actually put in hard work. You would think they would know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I know I wish I could say something different about it, but some parents get very involved in their kids schooling that they get so carried away with helping them.

But I totally agree with you. How is the teacher suppose to give a decent grade to a child if she is going by perfection. Not fair at all.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:30 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I have two friends who are teachers one in elementary the other in middle school. I can assure you teachers know when the parent s do more than 'help' That doesn't mean every once in a while someone can't slide something past. The saddest part of your question is the child who winds up being shortchanged in the end. Tell your friend if a teacher suspects this is happening, in most districts, disciplinary action may be taken against the student for cheating.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:33 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I think that most teachers know. In the lower grades, I am sure that a good amount of parental "help" is expected though. As long as a child is actively involved in the idea of the project, constructing it, and knows how it works, or can tell how it was done, I think SOME parent help is OK. Now, if the parent does the entire thing, like all the set up and writing and everything, that is not doing a child any favors at all!! I have helped my son to a point with some projects (he is in third grade so has not had anything big so far) but I make sure he does as much of it as possible, all the writing, etc... Kids have to learn to do things on their own.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:40 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Yes, most if not all teachers know when a parent does their kids projects. i did one whole project for my son and the teacher told me she knew and gave me an A+ but gave my son a B, because he only did psrt of the project, readung the book and answering questions. Kids need to do as much of their work as possible.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• my child's teacher wouldn't care. In fact she gives him all the answers to his school work in the classroom so what is the difference. At the end of the day she can say oh look he got A's-C's even though they are fake grades. I think some teachers like to put thier head in the sand and pretend the child did it.

This is why I am homeschooling next year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• my neighbor told me she did all her daughters projects...last year the teacher didnt care and would get all a...well this year the girls are in different classes and this teacher knows.she told me.and she cares.but i am noticing talso this year that this girl isnt getting all the awards.and pictures and projects on the wall so i assume that her new teacher also knows...i think its ok to help alittle but to do the whole thing..how are they going to learn .it depends on the teacher...
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 12:34 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I think teachers know and deep down expect you to do some of those ridiculus projects for them.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 1:32 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I am a student teacher right now. high school... I can tell you that, by the high school level, teachers do know what students are capable of. We do enough in class assignments and see enough samples of work that if a momma does a project for them we will know. Sometimes though schools put alot of pressue on teachers to pass students- many times students who are not worthy. teachers have to fear losing their job if their pass rate is not high enough. Therefore, I can see a teacher turning a blind eye because they want that student to get the grade. If that's what it takes to get him a D or a C then they may choose to ignore it.

LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 3:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I am a primary grade teacher, and I know when a parent has done the child's work.

Parents need to be involved in their child's home work and projects as far as helping them research,
    organize, and prepare their work, but the child should do the work once he knows and understands what must be done.
    1teacher

Answer by 1teacher at 4:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I have a 4 year old son but this is something I'm dreading. I have friends too, who "helped" their kids with projects and papers. And I worry that my son's work will be graded against other classmates "enhanced" work and therefore not graded per what's expected at his age/level. But I am glad to read that teachers are onto this (I suspected but it's reassuring to read it).
    Kajon

Answer by Kajon at 11:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2009