My son is 2. When he sits on the couch he rocks....violently

he has always done it since he has been able to sit up...we used to always have him in the bouncy seat and I wonder if that is why? But someone suggested to me...autism....I dont see that because he is very very developed mentally...theres definatly no delays, but still it worries me. has anyone had experience with "rocking"? thanks

destiny00843

Asked by destiny00843 at 9:23 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you mentioned this to your doctor?
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 9:33 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• If that is the ONLY sign, then I doubt it's autism. But autism doesn't mean stupid or dumb or slow mentally. One of the signs of autism (certain disorders) IS higher than average intelligence.

Does he stop if you tell him to? If so...no big deal. If he cannot stop or doesn't stop (as if he can't control the impulse to rock) then bring it up to the doctor.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:37 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Yes but I am currently switching to a new doctor becasue everytime I bring something up to his old doctor it is "nothing to worry about" without even running any tests...
    destiny00843

Answer by destiny00843 at 9:37 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• sometimes he stops....and sometimes he laughes at me and does it harder
    destiny00843

Answer by destiny00843 at 9:38 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• he probly just likes the movement. try getting him a rocking chair
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 9:53 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My DD is has autism...and she is not considered higher than average intelligence...
    Autism is a huge spectrum....huge...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 9:54 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• As I said...certain disorders. Obviously not all disorders on the spectrum.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:06 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I know a sister and brother that do that. They rock back and forth bouncing their head off the back of the chair. Both do it everytime they sit on the couch. Neither have probs. that we know. The girl is 6 and her brother is 3.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:16 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• It sounds more like a possible sensory processing disorder than Autism - something that frequently comes with Autism but it is a very separate disorder. However if he responds to you and acknowledges that he is bouncing versus doing it unconsciously, then it is probably nothing out of the ordinary. Little kids do process movement differently than adults. Ever spun around with a toddler? They seem unfazed by the movement while you get dizzy. To him, it is probably no more alerting than an adult tapping their foot.

rebabeach2

Answer by rebabeach2 at 6:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2009