how smart are cats?

the reason i am asking is this, my puppy likes to eat the poop out of the kitty litter no matter how often i clean it. we have 3 cats and 3 litter boxes, the only room in our house that does not have cartpet is the kitchen so that is where the boxes are. my puppy gets into them, she will not however go down the basement stairs so i thought i would move the kitty litter down stairs, as to not confuse the cats, i only moved one, the cats saw me do it and know where the box its at downstairs i didn't want to have to be cleaning up doggie poo and kitty poo and i wanted to see if they would use it, well they haven't, i moved it downstairs on sunday and it is now wednesday my puppy has not eaten litter since we moved her favorite one downstairs but that don't mean she won't she just hasn't. do you think the cats would use the litter if i moved them all downstairs?

ntschetter

Asked by ntschetter at 9:25 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Pets

• if you showed them where it is yes
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 9:27 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• They would as long as you showed them.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 9:35 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• my dog does the same with my cats poop we call it kittie cookies lol but if u put all the cats in the litter box in the new location and keep doing that for a couple of days theyll get used to it
    BabyMommaKK

Answer by BabyMommaKK at 10:07 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I started my kitty upstairs and then when I thought he was big enough I moved his box downstairs. He's completely fine with it! They'll get used to it in no time at all.
    danni33

Answer by danni33 at 1:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My Step Dad always said cat's was little woman in fur coats ( always thought that was funny and kinda true, just thought I would say it)
    But I also think of my cats as kids too. Why walk all the way down stairs to go when you could just as easy go upstairs. I would say move them all downstairs , just show them to it each day they will get the hang of it.
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 9:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I would wait till they start using the one downstair, then move the 2nd one then the 3rd. I owuld keep taking them to the box and showing it to them.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:49 PM on Apr. 10, 2009