My son just turned 2, so weve started thinking about potty training

he will sit on his little potty but wont go.... HOW on earth do I go about it...I dont think he understands when I ask him if he has to pee pee. HELP! Ive got another one coming in 7 months and it would be awesome if I could get my son out of diapers before then or at least close!

destiny00843

Asked by destiny00843 at 9:26 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think this is a great time to do it. IMO sitting him on the potty and waiting for something to happen isn't the best way to get him to understand what he's supposed to do. Take a look at the "Potty training moms support group" on CM. There's a permanent post there on the "3-day method" for potty training and lots of advice and support for this method. We used it with our daughter at 19 months and she did great. The gist of it is that you take a few days to do nothing but potty training. You throw away the diapers (or hide them for the next baby) and switch straight to underwear. He wears nothing but underwear and a shirt, and you watch him like a hawk, and every time he starts to have an accident, you move him to the potty, explaining that's where pee pee/ poo goes. In a very short period of time, he gets it... AND he knows the feeling of needing to go. My daughter took about 7 days to tell us every time she needed to.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:38 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• my dd is 2 1/2 & we just did the potty training training like Emily just said, with no bottoms on..
    One day we had her in panties, she peed in them--so we took them off and she was running around naked. about 20min. later (without NO guidance) she went & sat on her potty by herself & peed.
    I think sometimes having anything around their legs, like diapers, undies, tight pants, ect. give them the comfort feeling of the diaper & they just go, like they are use too... But take that away & it may help them remember to go in the potty!
    My dd has been pee/poo in the potty for 1wk now.. we had 1 pp accidnet the next morning, i think she was just sleeping & her first poop was on the floor, i just think she didnt make it in time cause the poop trail was going out her bedroom door, so i think she tried to go to the pot but didnt make it..
    Also I think a kiddie potty made the diffrence. Instead of training on the big toilet.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:35 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Since she is doing so well in potty training in her potty, I am slowly moving it toward our bathroom. Next week I will move it into the bathroom so she can use her potty in there. But the week after that (or sooner if she request) I will tape the lid closed to her potty & make it a stepping stool to the big toilet. -- her potty when closed is intented to be a stepping stool. so is safe to step on :)

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:38 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• *i guess that should probley be (without any guidance) ..... hehe..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• A lot of moms do the totally bottomless training... but I have heard that some moms have to retrain once they go to having pants/underwear on, so do watch out for that. Or at least if you do start bottomless, don't stay in that stage too long. The portable kiddie potty did seem to help us at first, because we were running her there so often in mid pee, so it helped to have it in the same room... but our daughter ended up doing a lot better once she was on the potty ring on the "big potty." I guess she just found it more comfortable. So you may want to have both around to try both. Good luck!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:58 AM on Apr. 8, 2009