I can't get him to stop hitting...

I am raising my 2 year old grandson, I have never raised a baby before b/c I gave my DD up for adoption, never had any other children and am now helping her b/c I didn't want to see her go through my pain. So understand why I ask "new mom" questions although I am a Nanna...So back to the question..my GS has NEVER been hit by any of us, we DO NOT teach violence...yet any time he gets around his friends or playmates he turns to hitting them?! We put him in time out..he says he's sorry..then once he is out..the hitting fest begins AGAIN!?!?! I don't know how to prevent this and am wondering if anyone has suggestions to get him to stop or am I needing to discipline him differently?!

Hilde21

Asked by Hilde21 at 9:35 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just keep telling him no and then show him nice touches, i find the arm is best and then praise him for the nice touches, you can do this at anytime. If you know he is going to he hitting then try to stcik close and stop it befor it happens and remind him nice touchs.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 9:51 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• All 2 yr olds go through phases of hitting and sometimes biting. Its their way of saying...hey, youre not doing what I want you to do and their way of exerting independence. He doesnt have to SEE it anyone to know how to do it. At this age, I think just removing him from the situation is a good solution. If hes hitting, definitely make him apologize if he understands that and then move him to another area to play. As he gets older, you will be able to reason more with him and explain that this behavior is not tolerated. My son will be 3 this weekend and even he doesn't always "get" what I am saying about his hitting and how its not okay, but give him a few minutes and hes on to doing it again. I will say that my 3 yr old is bullied by my 3 older kids, so its no wonder he hits...LOL...But again, we just find something else for him to do. It really is a phase that they go through at this age. Good luck with your grandbaby.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:54 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Spanking does not teach violence of any kind. All you need to do is tell him that what he is doing is unacceptable and that the next time he does it, he will be spanked. You do it calmly, using a flyswatter or some other harmless but stinging instrument, with no anger. You are simply doing it to teach him that you are the person in authority and that you make the rules, whether it's hitting or sassing or disobedience. It will only take a short while, and then you will find that you have to very rarely use it, simply because he knows that you will. It truly is more painful for the parent than for the child, but it works and it works quickly and very efficiently. Children need to know that there are boundaries past which they are not allowed to go.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2009