tummy sleeper

i was wanting to know is it safe for a baby to sleep of there tummy i mean its the only way he wants to sleep. he is only 3 months so i dont know what to do help needed??????

poncetwins88

Asked by poncetwins88 at 9:43 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine slept on their tummies from the first night they were home.

You have to do that with which you're comfortable.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:46 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• This is a fairly contrversial subject, so I can only really give you my experience. I won't post any links for you because I just did what I wanted despite what was supposedly advised. ALL FOUR of my kids were tummy sleepers. I started out putting my first on her back, but she didn't like it and once I realized that she wanted tobe on her stomach, I let her do it. THen with no 2, I tried the back thing, then quickly realized that she also wanted to be on her tummy. With no 3 and no 4, I just put them on their tummies from the beginning. I checked on them often and we did just fine. Three mos, IMO, is plenty old enough to sleep on the tummy. My niece was a back sleeper because her mom insisted. After months of that, she refused to be on her stomach at all and never learned to crawl and had no upper body strength because there was no tummy time. Shes 16 now and STILL struggles with low upper body strength. I think its fine. JMO
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:48 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My first two slept on their stomachs from birth. (They are 3 and 4 now.)

We slept all of our kids however they would sleep. And really, I simply CANNOT understand how a child would die of suffocation if they can move their head around. And as far as SIDS goes, nobody even knows WHAT it is. How can they say what causes it???
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 10:12 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Just for another perspective: I couldn't bring myself to put my daughters on their tummies. I tried it sometimes but it just made me too panicky. So my daughters ended up both sleeping tightly swaddled until about 6 months old. This worked just as well. I don't think anyone's a bad mom for putting baby to sleep on tummy. I just couldn't do it. One of the current theories on SIDS is that babies don't actually suffocate - what happens, by this theory, is that their air gets trapped in a pocket and they rebreathe the air again and again, increasing levels of CO in their lungs, which somehow signals the body, OK, I need to stop breathing now. So I guess if you had no bumpers and no blanket, it wouldn't be likely that such a pocket would be made. Definitely do what makes YOU feel comfortable. And don't tell your pedi unless you want an argument. They're not allowed to advise it even if they let their kids sleep that way. GL!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:33 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• this type of question always tends to become a headed debate so hopefully this time around it doesn't. It is recommended that babies are put to sleep on their backs but as they get older they tend to roll over and end up sleeping on their tummies. One of the reasons is that its supposed to safeguard against SIDS but like one of the previous posters said, no one knows what really causes it.

I would put my daughter to sleep on her back and she had no problem sleeping but when she started to roll over she'd sleep on her tummy and I just let her. I realized that if I wake her up to lay her on her back she's just going to lay on her stomach again. hehe.

You are the mama so you will choose to do what you feel is best for your child. :]
    beautifulinlove

Answer by beautifulinlove at 10:38 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• they have this thing it's like a wedge with sides you can find it at target, my baby is two months and would wake up if on her back and on the tummie she would be asleep for a good amount of time. on her back she was like one of those babys that open there eyes when you pick them up but only when you put her down, lol but she likes that wedge thing I tuck her in with the blanket on the sides and now you have a baby on there back. My first was a tummie baby and she is now five going on six, she is alive! it's up to you? honestly I make sure she is breathing even when she is on her back.????
    2duarte

Answer by 2duarte at 10:44 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I would def not put a baby on there tummies to sleep.. so many babys have died due to suffocating because they were sleeping on there tummies and were face down in there bed. If you lay your baby on his back for every nap and at night he will get the hang of and and learn to sleep on his back.. you should stop that right now before its to late and you walk into something tragic !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• The "SIDS and rebreathing" theory has been around for a LONG time, it's nothing new. They were speculating about that when my oldest was a baby 6 years ago.

SIDS and suffocation are two totally different things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My son is also tummy sleeper. I didn't let him sleep at night on his tummy until he could roll over by himself. I would occasionally put him down for a nap on his tummy. I 'burritoed' him with a swaddling blanket until he outgrew it. It seemed to help the situation somewhat.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 11:21 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• If he isn't rolling over yet and you lay him on his back he will eventually fall asleep, you just have to let him fuss. When mine was just over 4 months he figured out he could roll over and since then he rolls himself over on his tummy and falls asleep. If we flip him back over, he rolls over again. Just keep an eye on him. He is still at risk for SIDS.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 8, 2009