If there was never the teaching of Heaven or Hell, would you still believe in God?

You say you do not believe in God simply because you fear going to hell. Well, there is an incentive, right? Be good and go to Heaven. Be bad and go to Hell. You say you fear other's going to Hell, but do you not fear for you own soul as well? Is this not a scare tactic?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:50 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• To me, Heaven is just a plus - if it didn't exist (I don't believe in Hell anyway), I would still get to experience His love here on earth, still get to have this relationship with Him, and that's more than good enough for me!
    =D
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:16 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Well, I personally don't believe in Hell, so I guess that blows THAT theory out of the water, LOL.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:54 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• jenn, So you don't believe in any form of punishment for those who don't believe? Winners go to Heaven and losers... what? Simply die? Isn't that a punishment?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:01 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Nope. I believe we are all on our own spiritual path to love and enlightenment. I also believe that my path isn't for everyone. But I'm not a typical Christian, LOL.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 10:03 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Well then you are most definately NOT typical! Absolutely refreshing if you ask me!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:05 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I would believe in God no matter what. It's not about "fearing" anything. It's about having relationship with Him that is so strong, all fear is gone. God is not about fear, that's from the enemy. God is about love, hope, grace, mercy,forgiveness,and restoration. He has done all of those for me,and continues to on a daily basis. He's never left me, never forsaken me,and was always there, even when I wasn't. He gave me life, then He gave me life everlasting. He saved my life (literally),then He saved my soul. He gave me a miracle healing,and gave me my life back,when I thought I'd never live as I do again. So, as I said, regardless of what teachings come along, I have a relationship with Him that nothing could ever change. I KNOW He's real. He has proven Himself to me over and over,and even if I didn't have the promise of eternal life in Heaven, I'd STILL follow and worship Him. Nothing can ever change that.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 10:08 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Answered at 9:05 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 by: IhartU
    Well then you are most definately NOT typical! Absolutely refreshing if you ask me!
    *
    Why, thank you! :-)
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 10:10 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I dont believe in the christian god, so to speak, but i do believe in a higher power. I do think hell is a scare tactic used by man to make man follow the written word or else.
    But the flip side of that coin is, IMO, I dont think there is such a thing as an evil soul, life gets in the way and wrong disicions are made, bad things happen but I dont think a soul can be punished for the bodies actions.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:18 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• So stvmen, why has he done all of these things for YOU and not for other people who believe just as much or more than you do? I understand your weak and need God to get through your life, but why does your God pick and choose which of his people to heal or save and how CAN HE not do that for all of them? He is not about love unless you define love as doing nothing and letting people suffer through pain, tradgedies and abuse. God is not about hope- he is about FALSE hope. You hope things happen and then when it doesn't go your way, you chalk it all up to God's Plan.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:31 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My husband and I were just talking the other day. I want him to take the test on Belief.net to see where he really lies. He claims to be Christian, but I know better. His beliefs are way to close to some of mine. I asked him what he really thinks he is and he just answered "scared". He said he was to scared that he could be wrong, so he sticks to the title of Christian, even though it's not really what he believes. Now, to me that is just horrid!

I was raised as a Christian but I was taught that there is no Hell and that only 144,000 are going to Heaven, that the rest will live in an earthly paradise after the end of Armigedon... Personally, Christianity is not for me. I was not raised that you had to belive this way out of fear and I don't.

The fear tactics of the Christian curch in my opinion are no better than those of the Nazi's or any other comunist country. Believe like this or suffer - WRONG!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:50 AM on Apr. 8, 2009