How do we define what is Biblical?

I asked this in another post, but I fear it will be lost in the shuffle, so I am going to specifically question it.
Many times, I hear Christians negate a concept, based on it not being "Biblical". I have absolutely no problem with that, as long as the people are consistent, which more often then not isn't the case.
Take for instance the two concepts of the Rapture and Purgatory. Neither concept is specifically named in the Bible, but both are alluded to in the scriptures. So, why is it that so many Christians widely accept one concept, but not the other? That makes no sense to me.

Gretchen2876

Asked by Gretchen2876 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree. That's why I say over and over again that it's all relative and religion is a completely personal thing.
    We all take the bible and interpret it to fit us and our own personal spiritual needs.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:57 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Or to what our particular denomination tells us to believe....
    Gretchen2876

Answer by Gretchen2876 at 10:00 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Exactly . . .
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 10:00 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I dont really believe in purgatory or the rapture. What I believe is waht the bible speaks of.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:50 AM on Apr. 8, 2009