Do any of you still allow your 3-4 yr old to have a pacifier or drink out a baby bottle?

I saw this child in Walmart yesterday, looks like he was big enough to be in the first grade {a little exaggerating} drinking out of a bottle with a paci in the other hand. Do you think having a pacifier is a little to much for a 3 year old?

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 9:54 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yeah, 3 or 4 is too big for a bottle or pacifier. I usually let the Easter Bunny or Santa take them away at age 2.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:55 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• it's alot much for a 3 year old... i brok my dd from the paci before she was 3months old & from the bottle when she was about 8months old
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:55 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I dont but I have seen many older kids with binkys I just figure the parent would rather "plug the hole" then listen to the crying.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 9:57 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I wouldn't let it go til three, but, would let him have a pacifier till two. Because kids have a non-nutritive sucking need until 18 months give or take. By two and a half, it should disappear, so, 2 makes sence to me.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:59 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Imamom2 and I think that's exactly what it is. Plenty of times I see a mother pull out a bottle when a child starts crying just to shut them up.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:00 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Lazy parents...esp to have a bottle..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 10:04 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Binky only in his room. Bottle never at that age! They were off by 18 months at the latest.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:27 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• That's terrible. I saw a boy in a gas station once.... he seriously had to be 6 years old.... with a pacifier. My oldest son had his pacifier until he was 3, but he only slept with it that last year or so. Bottles went bye-bye, cold-turkey, at 12-13 months. Luckily, my second son gave his pacifier up on his own at about 21 months.... it's so nice to not have to worry about the stupid things right now! Now my boys are just super attached to their blankets, but that's okay with me.
    My2J.A.P.s

Answer by My2J.A.P.s at 10:29 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Munky is 3 and still has her bottle, Floppy Puppy, Little Puppy, and Tweety at night, I'm not going to take them away till she's ready, although my daughter was weaned by a year I think. Poor kid's lost her home, father, mother...

I think I can bear the 'shame' of having a 3 yr old with a bottle and pullups :D
    MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 10:34 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• When my kids were babies, I allowed them to use the pacifier but at age of 8 months as I was getting them ready to remove the "bottle". I started to "ween" them from it. My oldest left the pacifier at 14 months and my youngest at about 9 months.
    momof2boys9195

Answer by momof2boys9195 at 10:34 AM on Apr. 8, 2009