am I wrong?

First off let me start by saying that I am a Christian and do not spank my children. According to MIL and FIL I am a sinner. They have informed me that if they watch my children they will spank them. So I say well then I guess you won't be. What do you think? In the Bible it says spare the rod spoil the child. I use timeout and take things away and thats been working. It hurts them more to have the T.V. taken away than for me to spank them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• raise your kids the best way YOU see fit... I spank my child but if my inlaws did it I'd be pissed
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:58 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I don't think your wrong at all. I think (again, this is going to me my line of the day, I think, LOL) IT'S ALL RELATIVE TO INTERPRETATION.

"Spare the rod and spoil the child" doesn't refer to SPANKING, IMO, it refers to DISCIPLINE.

On a side note, if they are going against your wishes as far as THAT goes, I would think about not allowing them to watch my children.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:59 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• That is the very reason we stopped leaving our children with my inlaws. The still spent time with them just no baby sitting or overnight.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:01 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Contrary to popular belief, this exact statement was not found in the Bible. It was from a poem written by Samual Butler in 1664.

“Hudibras”
    If matrimony and hanging go
    By dest'ny, why not whipping too?
    What med'cine else can cure the fits
    Of lovers when they lose their wits?
    Love is a boy by poets stil'd
    Then spare the rod and spoil the child

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:03 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• You're 100% right! Parent how you think is right. And the ILs would NOT be watching my kids ever if they claim they would spank them... THAT is wrong.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 10:03 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Proverbs 13:24 (King James Version)

24: He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes. (Proverbs 13:24)
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 10:09 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• LOL, guess we posted at the same time
    jennijune_21

• You are correct.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 10:19 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I would argue that the 'spare the rod, spoil the child' quotation can be applied to discipline in general, not spanking in particular. Yes, if you do not bother to discipline your child you are going to have some issues. However, discipline does NOT have to equal spanking or physical punishment. I am a pretty strict mom in many ways, but do not and never will spank. It's a long and personal story, but I am very firm that we do not hit in our house, period! That doesn't mean I am not consistant in my discipline or that I don't expect my children to behave. JMO!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:26 AM on Apr. 8, 2009