I have B- blood... and my husband has A-... but my doc. is still telling me that I need a RhoGam shot, but I don't understand why- wouldn't my baby have neg. blood and there be no problem?

(Really long- sorry!)
I recieved a call from my doctor and she (in not so blunt words mind you) told me that there is an unusually high presence of some antibody (that she couldn't name) in my blood that is pretty much destroying my babys red blood cells... bcuz our blood isn't compatible. I of course did some internet research on blood typing and all the possible combos my baby could get from my husband and I. According to said research, we should not be having this problem. I have neg. blood and so does he... and all the possible options my baby could have are neg.!
When I confronted my doctor on this, her answer was to refer me to another clinic- which I have not heard from yet.
Any thoughts or advice please!

MssBlckEyeliner

Asked by MssBlckEyeliner at 9:56 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Health

• I think anytime the father has neg. blood they give you the shot just in case.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• you are a rh negative factor which means that if you dont get the shot the baby could reject the blood that it is receiving from you. i am also rh negative and had to have the shots during all three of my pregnancy and one after my son was born becuz of his blood type. just get the shots and everything will be fine. i cannot believe that the doctor didnt go into more detail with you on this. i think i would look for another doc. good luck
    Anonymous

• well the thing is we pass on dna as recessive and dominant. as in even though your husband is negative he could pass on +- genes or -- genes. if he passes on the +- gene your child has the possibility of being + blood type instead of negative depending on which is dominant to the baby.

it is same reason how two 0+ parents can have a 0- child.

I can't remember in your case if both parents have to pass on the +- or if it only takes one though, but that will head you in the right research direction.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 10:07 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• THANK YOU EVERYONE!
    Really, this is helping a lot... and I'll have fun looking more into the dom. rec. gene thing :)
    MssBlckEyeliner

Answer by MssBlckEyeliner at 10:17 AM on Apr. 8, 2009