Where our taxes go.

I thought this would be an interesting article for everyone. It basically says where our taxes go. 20% to military, 20% to medicare/medicaid, 20% to social security, 13% to government retirement/welfare, 12% to interest on government bonds. That leaves 15% to pay for schools, roads, research and science products, national parks, FEMA etc. Well, this year we're taking in a lot less taxes where so many people have lost their jobs so I'm guessing we can't even pay the 85% for military, medicare/medicaid, social security, interest and government retirement so which one out of those do you want to cut?

smalltowngal

Asked by smalltowngal at 10:09 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 1 (-9 Credits)
  • Ooops, I forgot to put a link. It is from 2007 so I think our interest, health care, and social security costs have gone up since then.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18098378/page/2/
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 10:10 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Very good question.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:11 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• apparently to fund wars and the red states who have the highest number of people on PA.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• The military is a necessity and the only thing the Government is actually supposed to provide for us. We need money for roads and infrastructure. I say cut the government retirement programs and they all have to be enrolled in ss like the rest of us. Schools don't need more money they need more accountability with the money they already have. Much of it is not spent the way it should be. All programs from welfare, WIC, food stamps, medicare, medicaid, ssi and the many other social entitlement programs should be overhauled and many people fired and other hired to make it more efficient. Government waste in all programs probably accounts for a large amount of the budget too.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

Friday, is that you?

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:25 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• sorry, not friday- whoever that is..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• SS. I think it should be done away with. Save your money the old fashioned way.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 10:34 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

And what about those who have already paid into the debacle called Social Security?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• And what about those who have already paid into the debacle called Social Security?

________

They get what they are owed as of the date the programs stops. Once all the people are paid out then it's over and done with.

I think the people should get what they have paid into so far.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 10:45 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Jackal, how should people save money for retirement? Banks? Um, doesn't look very safe to me. Investments? Still not looking good. Seems the only safe way to save is in a mason jar buried in the back yard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Apr. 8, 2009