baby gate advice

Okay, here's my problem. In my house the only place to really put my cat's little box is in the basement. My baby hasn't started crawling yet, but when she does I don't want all the litter that my cat ends up kicking out of the box on the floor with my baby. Plus, the litter box smells, so it's just better to put it in the basement.
Here's my dilemma. I have to keep the basement door open so the cat can get down there, but I don't want the baby falling down the steps. Is there such a thing as a baby gate that has a pet door? Or does anyone have any useful advice?

CaylaLU

Asked by CaylaLU at 10:24 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree with the pet door in the basement door. And to go a step further, so that way your daughter doesnt get curious and try to fit herself through it too ( i can so picture it..and I know my kids would try it ..lol) they make the ones with the special sensor reader on the door flap so that it stays 'locked' and can only be opened by a special sensor collar to put on your cat, and 'relocks' after a couple of seconds I believe.
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• They make pet gates with doors small enough for a cat to fit through, you can get them just about anywhere Wal-mart, Target, and even some pet stores. Another option is you could just put in a cat door right in the basement door.
    1and1make3

Answer by 1and1make3 at 10:28 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• With it being at he top of stairs and needing to be a long term thing, I would get one that mounts to the door frame, and locks shut. They aren't that much mo9re expensive. I have 3 cats and they always jump over our gate, unless your is older and can't climb that well, you shouldnt need one with a cat door on it. Or like 1st poster said, just put a cat door on the basement door.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:31 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My cat jumps our baby gate quite easily and she's 18 years old. Try just leaving it there and see if she can jump it. It's pretty unlikely that she'll hurt herself on the stairs... (totally assuming your cat is a she here lol)

The best option, though, is the one the other 2 posters have mentioned. Replace the basement door with one that has a cat door...
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 10:51 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My husband got a pet door from Home Depot. He just cut a hole in the door and installed it. They even have extra large ones, my cats are pudgy so we had to get the big one. Ha Ha.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 11:00 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Put a pet door in the basement door.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• The cat is going to jump any gate you have in place believe me.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2009