How should I switch my daughter from formula to milk??

My daughter is alittle over 10 months old. I am going to be switching her to milk when she's a year old and I was just wondering how I should go about doing it..Thanks!! :)

brookes_mom04

Asked by brookes_mom04 at 10:30 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she drinks out of the baba put in that, or in a sippy cup, you could warm it up so its similar to formula, how ever she'll take it.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 10:31 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Mix milk and formula together for a couple of weeks then slowly put in less and less formula.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I think it might vary from child to child. I nursed my daughter and she pretty much self weaned at around 11 months and i was worried that she'd have a hard time switching over to whole milk but it was no issue. I agree with the anonymous, mix milk and formula and over time slowly put in less formula. I've heard some people say not to mix formula and milk but I don't know what the big deal about that is.

Good luck! :]
    beautifulinlove

Answer by beautifulinlove at 10:44 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• We were already doing the bottle weaning, which we accomplished by about 11 months. The day she turned 12 months, we just put milk in her sippy instead and if she ever noticed the difference, she didn't seem to care... We kept formula around for awhile, until the containers ran out, because of the convenience for travels, etc. I'd try cold turkey first, because for many babies it's a non-issue.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:45 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I started putting milk in a sippy while he still had formula in a bottle. After awhile, I lessened bottles of formula and upped the sippies of milk. He never realized he was switched.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:46 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I just did this with my almost 12 month old! In the morning he was done with his last bit of formula and I gave him a bottle of vitamin D wow he had no problem with it and is magically finally sleeping through the night!
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• If she's still taking her formula warm, start giving it to her cooler. A little each day until she takes it cold. Switch her to a sippy cup if she's not already taking one. When you're ready for milk, give her milk instead. If she doesn't take it right away, don't worry about it. Just give ONLY milk until she drinks it. (mine didn't even hesitate to drink milk, though)

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:10 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• When my oldest was at that age I switched him 2oz at a time. The first day or two he had 6oz formula mixed with 2 oz whole milk. Then it was 4oz of each for a couple of days, then 2oz formula & 6oz whole milk and finally all whole milk. Worked like a charm. Some babies do great going cold turkey and some do better gradually. I figured I'd go gradual just in case. Good Luck
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 11:21 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Dont mix milk and formula unless absolutely necessary! We tried to do this with my son, and it turned out to make the transition worse for him and not better. We talked to my DR and he said he preferred a CLEAN break from formula to milk. Most people will scream at you NO NO NO dont do that, but I swear to you it really did work out better just flat out giving him milk. He had BAD diarrhea when we were mixing the formula with the milk, but when we made the clean break like the DR said the diarrhea slowly went away and never returned! It is definitely different for every child, so if you do try by going slowly, and your baby has a reaction to that dont hesitate to just try out a clean break and go straight for the milk okay? Good luck!
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 11:33 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• You don't have to give milk at all. There are other foods that provide better absorbed calcium.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2009