Why do parents chose not to vaccinate their children??

I have 3 kids and I have veccinated all of them.. I have recently became a member of cafemom and have read alot of posts on parents who dont vaccinate, they have there reasons because of like autism and things like that. But is that the only reason why they dont? Id like to know why they dont vaccinate and if i should or not after i hear all of the responces.please help and no bashing !!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Well, I can say that my dd has gotten all of her vaccines that she needs, butI have decided against the new of for HPV. Only because it is so new and we don't really know the consequences or long term effects that it might have on our kids. I am glad I didn't because now Ihave read that it has killed so many young women already. See this arritcle -http://www.rense.com/general83/hpv.htm
    Familytyme

Answer by Familytyme at 10:55 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• i chose not to vax my daughter because she was having problems with them, her tiny little body couldnt handle it. but im going to start vaxing again soon. mine was just a temporary thing.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• First of all, I don't trust a lot of the new vaccines (younger than 15 years and my child does not get it). The reason for this is that sometimes they have problems that are discovered after they have been released, sometimes for years (the old rotovirus vaccine that was used for a year before it was banned for causing serious health problems, oral polio vaccine that was used for almost 50 years before people discovered that it was actually causing polio in adults). Secondly, I don't like the schedule. There are simply too many shots for such a small child to handle. So I'm waiting and being selective with my son's vaccines. He will get a few, just not every one and those when he is older.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• well some parents believe that there are health problems associated with the Vax, and some children can have a reaction to the vax. For some it's against their religon. There are lots of reasons
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:11 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• The studies that stated the the link between autism and vaccinations were disproven, besides that fact that the mercury preservative that supposedly caused autism is not longer in any vaccinations other then the flu vaccine (which there is a mercury free version of also). Some people just believe everything they read and dont' pay attention to the reliability of the source. Another reason, is that some moms believe that all those vaccines are too much for such a little body. Some will do a modified vaccination schedule (spacing them out a little more) or choose not to vaccinate. And like someone else said, there's the rare allergic reactions and religious reasons. With so many moms not vaccinating we've seen a comeback of a few diseases that were near extinct in the US, like whooping cough, mumps, etc. Which decreases the protection of the poor kids who actually CAN"T have a vaccine due to medical reasons or allergies.
    xraydri

Answer by xraydri at 11:56 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Because they believe these diseases arent that serious. Children used to die of these diseases that kids are vaccinated for. I'm not willing to take the chance. There's a better track record for vacinations then against them. A small small percentage of children can not health-wise handle vaccinations. All the rest of the reasons, as just theory. I'm not willing to trust a high enough precentage of the other parents are going to vax thus helping protect my child from an outbreak of disease. If this non vaxing keeps up to a higher rate, you are going to see epidemics of perviously controlled disease that have the potential to kill or premanently injure children.
    Anonymous

• Some refuse because of the "ingredients" in the vaccines.
    Anonymous

• I vaccinated my 3 kids before I had the internet and the means to really do the research. I never really questioned my doctor's orders, ya know? Now that I have the ability and motivation to do my own research (not relying on so-and-so's info) I can come to my own conclusion and back up my opinions. I don't think there is a right or wrong way...it's something each parent has to decide. We do our best to look out for our kids and do what's in their best interest. For future vaccinations, I will very likely opt out! I still have lots of research to do...but I would hope that people can respect MY decision :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:10 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Anon...if your kids are vaxed...what are you so worried about?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:13 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• RENEEK3 this was a question asked by me, i can tell that this question will start a heated argument so if you have no answer to my question then dont respond !!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Apr. 9, 2009