Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do?

Last Thursday Austin asked me if his friend Dustin could take him to this guys house that was real nice, if you go to his house he will give you candy. (yep thats what I said) I of course said absolutely not. I did not know this man and that he was not to go there EVER! I spoke to Dustin's mom about this and she said that she had just heard about it too and that her older son and Dustin have gone there. So I asked Austin to show me where this man lives. He lives on the same street as us, but a few blocks away. I have checked the online sex offender link and there are none registered in this area. I looked up the address and ran the last name through the Charlotte County Sheriff's website also, no arrests for that name. But who knows if the house is rented out and that the person living there is not the owner. So what would you do with this information? Would you leave it alone or tell someone.

Answer Question

Asked by dianna2402 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (16)
  • I would go talk to the guy, and see what he's about, and find out why kids are going to his house and for what.

    Answer by NicholeAT at 11:01 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • maybe go up and knock and introduce your self, if the guy is legit and just trying to be nice to the kids great, but if he has ulterior motives it would be good for him to know that the parents are on to him and watching his every move. and just cause soomeone isnt a registered sex offender dont mean anything - except that they may not have been caught...

    Answer by pammd at 11:01 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • i agree with pammd. and if u meet him and have that ify feeling dont let kids go remindes me of a creep named albert fish ( seemd nice and old and well off parents trusted him needless to say there 8 or 9 year old dd went missing after dd went with him to a "party" ) follow your gut no matter. have coffe or tea with him and talk. you can always introduce by saying my son thinks your nice because of.... and i just wanted to meet you, and would you like to come over for coffee or i wanted to bring over some candy ( any kind ) to just say thank you. like an excuse to be there with out being noticeable in his eyes. or u can just be honest and say i wanted to meet u.

    Answer by tabbys4 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • My dh and I would go and introduce ourselves to this man... and I would ask him out right why boys are being offered candy to come to his house...
    To tell the truth no matter what this man says, my child would NEVER be allowed around there and I would make it known that he (the man) has offered candy for boys to come over...
    You can also go to your local pd and talk to someone there... they do have active teams that will be able to answer your questions too and if there is enough there they can do a check also on him...

    Answer by gmasboy at 11:39 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • I agree with the others. He may just be a man who enjoys the company of kids. I used to frequent many of my neighbor's houses when I was little. They loved the visits. I would certainly talk to the man and maybe set guidelines, like if you're son goes there, they need to stay out on the porch, and he can not go in the house under any circumstances.

    Answer by xraydri at 11:43 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • go introduce yourself, for sure. it certainly could be that scary scenario that every mom fears. but it could also be a nice guy who happened to give the kids candy when they talked to him.
    my little girl is only 2, but we have 8, 9, 10+ year olds (whose parents i dont even know!!!) hanging out at our house all the time cuz i've always got candy or cupcakes, or some fun game or something. i know its different since im a woman with a child, and he's just some guy... but you never knw til you check it out.

    Answer by mama_moonsong at 11:46 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • go to , it may evern be but anyways i went there and even if they rent the house they have to be in there you type in your address and it will show everything even a mug shot with there face and what there charges are

    Answer by emleejane at 11:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • hmm,first you can get a posting of whos on the abuse list at the police staion.i wouldnt let your son near him.go on your towns assesor dept and you can find out who owns the house.i myself would get my shepherd and go for a walk.but then again.ya try to find out all you can about him.i get a real bad vibe and i know i was abused.i feel red flags all over the place.maybe im wrong and i hope i am by his house see what he drives works???and its funny but when my daughter goes to girl scouts they have it in the teachers lounge and they have all the abusers listed with pictures.but i do live near a max prison with a rehab out patient place and criminals in the half way program so i guess they have to know...

    Answer by raineydays377 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • I would go meet the man. He may be totally innocent or totally guilty. Go see for yourself. If you have a husband take him w/ you. GL.

    Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 1:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • I would also let him know that your child is not to enter his home, that you tell him that about every new person they meet.

    Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 1:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.