is this pink eye??

on the 26th of march my girls were treated for pink eye. they had a little bit of green gunk in the eyes (which lasted for one day and was gone after that) although i did finish off the meds. all three of them woke up with it again today! grr...i have a doc appt. but wonder if im missing a spot the germs are hiding in my frantic cleaning sessions?? just at my wit's end with this crap...

Sexy_Mama82

Asked by Sexy_Mama82 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Are there eyes nasty and crusted shut?
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 11:03 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• no, they aren't crusted shut, but the gunky stuff is in there under the eyeball like, when you pull the lid down you can see it and it's kinda on their eyelashes too.
    Sexy_Mama82

Answer by Sexy_Mama82 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• pink eye is hard to miss. Literally pull down the lower lid and all you see is pink. Highly contastious (sp). Only way to prevent is wash hands throughly before rubbing eyes. Also if they scratched lens and don't have tentitus shot they should probably get if not up to date.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• pink eye is when they have crusties in their eyes when they wake up, to the point where their eyes are stuck shut. also, the eyeball is a pinkish red color on the white part. i know what you're going through momma, my son just had it a couple of weeks ago and my dd had it. i'm still treating her for it, even though it looks as if it's gone. Just wash your and your childrens hands constantly. after you put the meds in their eyes, wash your hands and theirs. if you notice them rubbing or touching their eyes, wash their hands. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• It could be that their are kids at school that have pink eye and parents are doing nothing. Make sure they do not touch their eyes and if they do wash thoroughly. Pink eye is highly contagious and if not treated can cause bigger problems with the eyes and sight. Sometimes there is no crusiness when yoou have pink eye. I have had it TONS of times and sometimes there is no discharge and i just have pinkness and my eyes hurt.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:23 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I agree with tyfry. The eyes don't always crust shut, aren't always red, don't always have discharge. My son has had it several times and the only clue was crusties in his eyes (but didn't plaster them shut).
    xraydri

Answer by xraydri at 11:35 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My son has had it several times. His eye(s) have a thick discharge & do look pink suddenly. He rubs at them alot when they are like this. He doesn't always have them crusted to the point they are shut but it has happened. Once he gets antibiotic eye drops I put them in both eyes regardless because it does spread rapidly & is very contagious. I have been told by the pediatritian that he is no longer contagious after 24 hr of treatment.
    chaster

Answer by chaster at 12:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• well i'm going to the docs at 1:30...ill update with the news. thanks ladies for your responses this morning...it helps to be able to get this off my chest and learn more about the issue at hand via experienced mommys!
    Sexy_Mama82

Answer by Sexy_Mama82 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• okay well i just got back and yes its pink eye. grr..but ive got the antibiotic drops so they should start feeling better. apparently there are like three different types of pink eye. bacterial (most common) , viral, and allergic. viral sometimes comes from having a persistent cold, or as a warning to a cold or at the end of a cold. so here's to getting everybody better! CHEERS=) and again, thanks!
    Sexy_Mama82

Answer by Sexy_Mama82 at 3:25 PM on Apr. 8, 2009