Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you found out there was Radon Gas exposure in a house you were about to move into, would you still go through with it?

Well, we are in the process of buying a house. We are 90% there! It was a "short sale" & as is contract. While repairing some things the appraiser found needed to be repaired, we saw a pvc pipe in the house with the radon detector gauge. My plan was to have a daycare out of my basement. I have three young children at home. I just don't know if we want to continue knowing what we know & exposing ourselves. It's hard decision, but family? No question when it comes to that. I just want to know if anyone else has gone through this, or is living with low risk radon levels in their home. Please help. Thanks

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Health

Answers (4)
  • The radon detector was detecting radiation or there just was a detector? I would get it looked into before you go any further, because radon can make you pretty sick. It is also quite an ordeal and expensive to have it fixed.
    xraydri

    Answer by xraydri at 11:12 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • I was in your position too and I made my husband back out because ... one of my kids has severe asthma diagnosed NOT from allergies and I have a lung problem too, another daughter has severe allergies. With all of that I turned it down. There is a way to decrease entirely or partially the radon. But I could take a chance with all of our breathing problems. You maybe should retest at the cost to the seller, I'm pretty sure that is something that is supposed to be disclosed. In our case it was not disclosed until after we made an offer. Had I known it I would not have made the offer. We got our money back. I've been told that it's really not harmful but then why some states demand testing for it? Maybe call a university high with a great geological department and ask them - they take calls from the public for quick consults all of the time. Try also Ameri. Lung Assoc.? I've heard a lot of houses have it, with basemns.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • Well, it must have been detected at some point. I just don't know what the damage would be in the longterm. We think about the kids & ourselves. Not to mention the children that would be under my care. I just don't want to risk it. We are 1st time homebuyers. Maybe its just not meant to be at the moment. The house is "as-is" & was a short sale. Plus, if we decide to sell that house at a later time-who is to say that it would sell, you know? So many questions that arise when dealing with this.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • Radon does not cause breathing problems, make you generally sick nor particularly affects people with allergies.

    Radon is considered a health risk because prolonged exposure is known to cause lung cancer in some people.

    What you are seeing in the house is most likely a radon reduction system. To reduce the risk of radon, they seal basement cracks, fit the sump pump crock with a special lid and ventilate the basement. It's as easy as that and only runs about $900, if you pay to have a company do it.

    Learn more: http://www.epa.gov/radon/pubs/citguide.html

    Find out if the house has been remediated. If not, negotiate to have it done before closing and you won't have any problems.

    If you are looking for advice about buying or selling a house, there is CafeMom group called Real Estate Tips & Advice, where real estate pros can accurately answer your questions. I recommend it highly! :)
    kn2418

    Answer by kn2418 at 12:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Health
Has your period did this