help please 15 month old not sleeping through the night

She use to the thing is I took her and put her in a toddler bed because I got 4 year old sissy a single bed and didn't want to bring the toddler bed back up in a couple months. I took down the crib and thought about putting it back up for her so she will sleep again, but we thought about having another baby so I don't want to put her back in it then half to take her back out if you know what I mean. She wakes up anywhere from 1 to 3 times a night. I am not getting any sleep. I am always tired. She use to take 3.5 hour nap now 1.5 hour if I am lucky sometimes 15 min. Like last night she woke up at pm (bedtime is 8) and then 11pm then 12am then 3am then 4am was the last time then she woke up at almost 8:30am I am so frusterated and tired. Can you please give me some ideas of how to get her to sleep through the night again other than putting her crib back up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• does she cry when she wakes up? if so, i'm not sure if you do the CIO method, but let her cry for about 20 minutes, and see if she'll crawl back into bed and go back to sleep. if she doesn't cry, then just let her play in her room for a while. she may just want to play and then go back to sleep. my son did this for a while, he would wake up and play with his toys and go back to sleep. not even call out for us. when he did cry, i would wait 20 minutes. normally he would put himself back to sleep, but their was a phase, actually at about the same age, 15 months, where nothing but cuddling with him worked. on those nights, i would take him in the living room, put on a 15 min. educational show, cuddle and watch it with him, then put him to bed. at first he cried, (which i waited 20min.) so we had to watch 2 shows a night, but he eventually learned that it was bedtime after the first show. it helped that dh took turns with me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• she probably doesnt feel comfortable in the bed, i would put the crib back up, my one and a half year old is still in her crib, i think pulling a bed back out would be the least of your worries if your losing sleep and so is she.
    emleejane

Answer by emleejane at 11:35 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• her door doesn't latch so we have to put a baby gate up in her door so she doesn't get out of her ANON
    room at night. She comes to her door opens it and crys. Sometimes she even starts screaming. I will try that, but if you new my DD lol when she screams her screams are ear piercing and so anoying I can't take it so I get up. Well the thing is when she does wake up al I do is cover her up and give her the sippy cup and put her back to work that works. I don't think she drinks the sippy cup anymore because it was full this morning, but I still offer it. Then that is the thing with her to but my girls achually if you lay or try to cuddle with them they think that it is playtime lol. So I don't even try to do that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Head to the bookstore for a copy of "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. There's a toddler edition that will help.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My children slept in their cribs until they were well past two. I think there is something about being confined or enclosed in a small space that makes a child feel more secure. Also, they are not free to get up and wander around at will, so they may as well go back to sleep if they wake up. I think you probably moved her too soon.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I dont have any advice. I think she misses the comfort of her crib. Even if you are thinking about trying for another baby, that will be AT least 10 months from now they would even need a crib (or you could use a pack and play for the new baby for two months and it would be a year.) When she is two, I definitly think she would better adjust to the toddler bed rather than at 15 months. Some babies are ready at 15 months, but it sounds like yours might not be.

Good luck!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 12:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2009