shes a month old and shes having hard time going bathroom two.. what should she do?

my friends one month baby girl is having a hard time going bathroom number two... what does it cause and how to make it better for her... does she have to change her formula? i think she s on good start.... thanks!!

tiggerneeyore

Asked by tiggerneeyore at 11:23 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she can try to change the formula, but normally it looks like they're having problems pooping, i.e., straining of the face, when they really aren't having problems. also, i think it's at 2 months though, that babies don't poop every day
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My baby had that at two months, I was bf her and I stopped drinking oj and cow's milk and her tiny hiny reacted by going on strike. She didn't poo for two and a half weeks, very scary. Had to take her to the ped every few days for a rectal exam to see if poo was there. it turned out my daughter's body just had to rest after suddenly missing what I stopped. What's your doctor say?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• breast milk is a natural laxative, i dunno if you nurse but if you do i would give that a shot
    emleejane

Answer by emleejane at 11:30 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I wouldnt change the formula especailly if it is just starting to heppen and isnt a long term thing, it may cause more problems if she switches. But tell her to call the Dr and see about an infant suppository. Also tell her if she is putting rice in her formula to stop, it can cause constipation. Work her legs like a bicycle, and massgage her tummy with lotion, in a downward motion from the belly button down. But tell her to call the Dr too, yu need to now why it is happening to prevent it in the future.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:30 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Take a rectal thermometer and put some vaseline on it and insert it just a little bit into rectum, maybe an inch or so.Worked like a charm with my son. It may be outdated, but my pediatrician has been in practice for 60 years and she has never steered me in the wrong direction.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 11:37 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I wouldnt go changing the formula just yet, because most likely its not that. The most common sign of constipation in a newborn is hard poop, NOT how often they poop. Babys that age dont poop every day usually, although SOME do (mine did lol lil crap factory). If shes a little constipated, have her get a little bottle and mix some warm water with a little sugar and let the baby drink it. That SHOULD help the baby poop a little easier. You can do this with karo syrup as well, which both also help with gas as well so you kill 2 birds with one stone.
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 11:38 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• okay thanks you guys... shes not breastfeeding her at all and she called her doc but shes on vacation... okay ill tell her that thanks so much you guys!!
    tiggerneeyore

Answer by tiggerneeyore at 11:38 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My first born struggled with this his whole first year, until finally his Dr put him on a daily laxative. It got so bad that he would scream and eventually tear and bleed down there! You can try baby enema's, or a small syringe of water works too, jsut make sure you lube it up! also the suppositories work. we also tried a little caro syrup in the bottles, and apple juice, tho baby might be too young for that! the thermometer trick works great if it is stuck and baby is trying to push! we also tried benefiber in the bottles...all that did was make him go more often, he still struggled a lot with really hard stools. That's all i can think of besides a trip to the dr....good luck!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 11:56 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• If the baby is on Good Start that's probably the problem. My son is three and a half weeks old and we tried Good Start last week, it gave him the same problem. I switched him to Parent's Choice this week and he's doing much better. No more fussing and crying when he needs to potty!
    bribribri

Answer by bribribri at 12:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2009