we just had baby bunnies what do i do? She killed her other 3 litters

we thought they were both females, until her first baby. we didnt know she had it. it died. We were told he killed it and if she had more to separate them when shes ready so we did. She killed them. next time same thing. what am i doing wrong she had five babies how do i keep them alive?

DIANE463

Asked by DIANE463 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Pets

• get rid of it, its a bunny and its causing problems
    emleejane

Answer by emleejane at 11:27 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• call the vet and ask them what to do. Obviously the babies need to be seperated from both the mother and father bunny and you are just going to have to keep the babies warm and fed on your own but I have no idea how to do that.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:30 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My grandmother called animals like that "rogues". I had mice when I was younger and there was this one female that whenever she had babies she would eat them. Every single time. I ended up separating her from everbody else so she couldn't get preg anymore.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 11:31 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• cont....othewise she wil probably keep doing that and you'll keep having dead baby bunnies. She just wasn't meant to be a mommy bunny I guess. You can try to keep the babies alive yourself with a little pet bottle and you can buy pet milk at the pet store. Rabbits in the wild don't stay with their young anyway, they come back to them once or twice a day, feed them and leave. Good luck.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 11:34 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• we had that happen once and we had to seperate the babies feed them with an eyedropper every few hours and keep them warm i would call a vet and get more advice.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• thanks for all your help. I guess someone hit me with a stupid stick when I had the bright Idea to get them bunniew last year for easter. This year strictly jelly beans!!! and nothing with eyes!
    DIANE463

Answer by DIANE463 at 11:45 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I raise and breed show bunnies and It does sound like you're going to have to foster the babies yourself. You mainly have to keep them nice and warm. The best thing for them is if you happen to know anyone who has dairy goats that you may be able to get some goat milk from. Bunnies have very rich milk and goats are fairly close. Cows milk just isn't always rich enough for baby bunnies.
    Part of why the momma may be killing her babies is becasue she can smell the buck in the cage. In general when breeding rabbits you always put the doe in with the buck so that the buck's sent isn't in the cage.
    Forstering baby bunnies is hard so I wish you luck. Let us know if they survive!
    Tigress0717

Answer by Tigress0717 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 8, 2009