Learning Questions

What are some fun ways to teach my almost 3 year old his ABCS, he's has a short attention spand any ideas?

NicholeAT

Asked by NicholeAT at 11:43 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Concentrate on one letter while searching through a magazine, cut it out and then let him glue the letter onto a piece of construction paper.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• i agree, get crafty! my littest one loves to paint, color, whatever is messy can be very educational lol=D
    Sexy_Mama82

Answer by Sexy_Mama82 at 12:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• www.LetterOfTheWeek.com

She has great suggestions. There are "prepatory" lessons for teaching the letters and then there are the Letter of the Week lessons for teaching the letter sounds - a critical early reading skill.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Do one letter at a time. Like first do A, make one thumb print in red paint on a paper. You add legs and eyes and antenna with a black pen. And write "1 red Ant" "A" , read Dr. Suess;s A,B,C's. You know, it starts out, "Aunt Annie's Alligator, A,A,A." Make flashcards. Show him the sign language for each letter as you learn it. Point that letter out everywhere and encourage him to find it when you are out. Once he has it, move on to the next. Then review both, then add the next letter. Till all are known. And be super-duper excited while telling him. Like your telling him a secret. Pretty soon, he'll know them all and start connecting and putting words together.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• www.starfall.com

Building blocks with the letters and numbers on them.

Label, label, label everything!

Read, read, read
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• We bought an wooden alphabet puzzle. When you place the letter in the correct space, it speaks the letter. My daughter loves wooden puzzles so she loves this one and she quickly learned to identify her letters. Now when we build with blocks I will point and say, "which letter do you want on top?" and she will choose a block and tell me the letter. When we see signs that are eye level for her I will ask "Which letters do we see?" She also likes the flash cards because she loves to show off. Children with shorter attention spans likely would not enjoy the flash cards. So, for short attention span I highly suggest you work it in to play.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 1:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Check out this website with him. My 2 yo dd loves it. She knows her letters and is learning sounds with it. . . http://www.fisher-price.com/us/fun/games/abczoo/default.asp
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 11:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I bought my littlegirl the v tech lap top. She'd play with hit for like 3-5 minutes at a time but besides us singing the abc song alllllllll the time. I think it helped alot. We also play with flash cards and make our own!
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2009