are parents not treating their school age childrens illnesses??

it seems like i will just get some bug cleared out of my home and BAM! they have the same thing again...this time itz pink eye. just got it out of the house and they have it again today. ever since my kids started school, this is the way it goes. another question, how long after you are infected with pink eye do symptoms show? is it like the flu and about a week after contact with the illness?

Sexy_Mama82

Asked by Sexy_Mama82 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think pinkeye usually shows symptoms pretty quickly if I remember right.

It was the same way when I worked in daycare. People had no choice but to send them to daycare or school sick because they had jobs and couldn't afford to take the time off. Public school is like free child care to a lot of people. I would just encourage your kids to wash their hands frequently at school (I know it's tough!).
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• ya, i understand how that can go with needing to make money and living pay check to pay check, but i'm just SOOO sick of having to deal with crabby kids. i feel so bad for them! and they are missing school to the point the principle calls me like it's my fault. i stay in touch with the school nurse and principle and all that, but...ugh...nothing has helped yet.
    Sexy_Mama82

Answer by Sexy_Mama82 at 11:55 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Yeah it sucks. Do they take any vitamins? My kids never really took vitamins until this year and this is the healthiest they've ever been (pickiest eaters in the universe). It's not fun to do schoolwork when you're feeling like crap...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• no they don't, but i'm def. getting some now! lol, its been rough b/c we recently bought a house in a different city and i think we are getting sick more often b/c we haven't previously been exposed to these germs? idk, but i think vitamins will help alot! with as much school as they have been missing, they need to at least feel good enough to do the makeup work=P thanks so much for your response this morning...it has made me feel worlds better getting it off my chest.
    Sexy_Mama82

Answer by Sexy_Mama82 at 1:40 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Lots of parents send their kids to daycare and school sick because they have no back-up plan. I killed me when some mom would say, "Well, he vomited all last night and first thing this morning, but I sent him to school because I thought he would be fine." Really? Thanks so much for infecting MY kid!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• This is happening to my friend now. She has been back and forth to the doctor a hundred times this winter. Every sickness her child brings home from school passes to the 2 younger children and sometimes the parents. As soon as they are well they catch something else. I feel so bad for her. Her house is clean...we tease her that maybe it is too clean. If you find a solution let me know she would love to hear it and be away from all this sickness!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2009