Do you think that the a child will inherit a stereotype or stigma if placed in special education

willow01

Asked by willow01 at 11:52 AM on Apr. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think that there are always going to be peers that are going to make fun of and bully a child that has to be in special education. My brother had ADHA/Bipolar and was in special classes all throughout school. He was called a freak and bullied, and was even forced to change schools. Once he was in highschool though and was playing baseball he become popular, and didnt have to deal with the same situations he did when he was younger.
    As far as stereotype or stigmas I dont see it going much further than peers and school, although because of my brothers medical history he wont ever be able to get a government job or join the military, but he is plugging away at college and doing just fine.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 11:56 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• yes. it takes a proactive district, school and teachers for that not to happen. Very hard for it not to happen but it is possible. it's just hit or miss, interview teachers and get references before letting a teacher be assigned, in gened classes get an aid, have a lawyer who is on the side of parents and child review paperwork before signing. Advocate for the child, which ever child, whose ever child.It is a real shame that role playing on bullying is not practiced and maintained nationwide.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Yep. No matter what they call it (I've heard special ed called "gifted and talented", WTF?) it stigmatizes the kid. All the other kids know who is in the "dummy" classes. It also follows from school to school.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:28 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Yes unfortunately,but what are you gonna do if they must be in there?People can be very mean.I'm not looking forward to my son getting teased.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 6:40 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• special ed and "gifted and talented" were two different things in my school. I was in gifted and talented, I graduated second in my class, It wasn't special ed. They are two different things.
    Anonymous

• There are several forms of "Special Ed" that a child can qualify for & they range from mild to severe. If your child is struggling with just one subject or two, he/she will be place in a reg classroom & have a special ed teacher aka, resourse teacher who will catch your child up to speed with his/her classmates. Most kids in this catagory phase out quickly & are "mainstreamed" or kept in their reg classrooms. The 2nd catagory is for moderately disabled kids(w/ behavior/ medical condtions) & this is called a SDC or special day class, special ed teachers make accommodations in education, they still learn all of the subjects but are behind in all of the subjects as well. This is the level where kids unfortunately are teased the most. The 3rd is called functional skills, where kids are severely handicapped such as down's syndrome, & mental retardation. Hope that this info helped
    Amy Nichols
    Work At Home United
    www.enriched1.com
    amynic

Answer by amynic at 1:05 AM on Apr. 9, 2009