i know this is going to sound stupid but...

can cats be mutts? or can you make designer breeds like dogs are being called designer breeds. like could i take a persian and a maine coon and then call it a perscoo? i just wonder cause whenever i take my cats to vets they call them either an american short hair or maine coon. although i didn't get them but off the street or pound.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 12:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Pets

• Mine are labled a dsh (domestic short hair) or dlh (domestic long hair). Maine coon is an actual breed and they are beautiful cats. Why not make a "Designer" breed? I think that it would be okay. LOL
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:06 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• yes they can be mixed breeds or "mutts" go to animalplanet.com and look up the show Cats 101 it tells you all of the breeds and health of your kittys! I watched it and learned that we used to have a main coon that we thought was bread with a bob cat because he was so HUGE! and we have a scottish fold! I really learned so much!
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 12:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• LOL a Maisian cat..... hmmmm. Hey if they can mix dog breeds and call it designer why couldn't you have a designer cat? I'll take a hairless Persian please.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• There is no such thing (to me anyway) as a "designer dog". A mix of two breeds is a mutt. Nothing wrong with mutts, mutts are great, but a Lab and a Poodle mixed together is a Lab Poodle MIX, not a "Labradoodle". I refuse to acknowledge the designer names at all, as it encourages the deliberate crossing of dogs for profit. A mutt is a mutt is a mutt. So no, to me, a cat mixed between a Persian and a Maine Coon is a Persian/Main Coon mix no matter what kind of fancy name (or price) someone puts on it. :)
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:43 PM on Apr. 8, 2009