My 17 month old is already throwing tantrums, what to do???

My 17 month old son is already throwing tantrums! I need advice. What can I do now so it won't get worse?!

Aidensmommy1115

Asked by Aidensmommy1115 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 9 mo is throwing tantrums that last upwards of 2 hours. I just leave the room and ignore her. When they realize that they can't get anywhere pushing those buttons it will eventually stop. I just asked her pedi about it today at the check up and she said put her down in a safe spot and walk away until she calms down. I wish you all the luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Give him a good love tap on his hiney...that will show him.

Just let it ride only you know what works for you and your baby. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Well if it is in public you need to just leave. Even if it is in the grocery store. You give one warning and if it doesnt stop you say, "alright, I told you if you did _______ again that we were going home." Then you leave. Your children have to be able to see that you will follow through with what you say you are going to do. If my daughter is crying or screaming in a restraunt, I take her outside and talk with her. I tell her that we cannot sit with Nana and Papa/Daddy while she is screaming. When she calms down we can go back in. I rarely have a problem with her in public, and if I do, I do that.

If she is at home she gets time out though. I take her and place her in her pack and play with no toys, and give her two minutes (one for each year she is old) to sit there. I leave the room. When the two minutes is done I come back, take her out, get down on my knees and make eye contact and tell her.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• "mommy told you not to do ________, you went into timeout because you did ________ when I asked you not to. I then give her a hug and a kiss and tell her I love her.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:13 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• We started spanking hands when our children and grandchildren were crawlers and knew what the word "no" means. My youngest grandson is now 10 months old, and he knows what he is allowed to touch and what he's not allowed to touch. He hardly ever cries, although as his little independence begins to grow, there will be more tests of the will. Your child is certainly old enough to be disciplined for his unacceptable behavior. The earlier you start, the more peaceful will be your home and the more freedom you will enjoy, knowing that you can take him any place you choose and he will know he must obey his parents.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:14 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Thanks a bunch! He is great in public. At home I feel he is testing me...plus I think he is just bored. He's a great kid but sometimes he just tests my patience.
    Aidensmommy1115

Answer by Aidensmommy1115 at 12:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Just be consistent. Don't give in on the issue, and don't cater to the tantrums in other ways. Set a spot for your child to go to until he's calmed down, bring him there and tell him that you know he is upset, but screaming and crying aren't going to get him his own way. When he does calm down, compliment him on getting his emotions under control.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:27 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• The tantrum might be because either he is tierd and needs a nap or because he just wants your attention. So sit down and play with him a little. When he starts throwing a fit and you know he's not tierd then try sitting down next to him with his favorite toy or coloring book. He might just stop right away and see that there are better things to do. This is being proactive, not giving in. The only time my son starts to get attitude is when he is tierd, so when he starts acting like that I tell him nap time and down he goes no if ands or buts. You can tell when they really need discipline and put them in time out for a minute with an explanation and love when their done.
    Anonymous