flying toddler?

In about a month we are flying to Idaho from Pennsylvania to watch the first of our neices/nephews graduate. My son will be 23 1/2months and he doesn't sit still at ALL. He was on a plane when he was 3 months old and did wonderful but he also couldn't move or scream lol The first flight is short and very very early in the morning so I think he will sleep but the second is longer and in the afternoon. Have any of you flown with your toddlers? How horrible was it? I am planning on stocking up on crayons, coloring books, fruit snacks, and juice, plus a few toys that he likes but what else can I take so that he isn't screaming for hours and hours....btw I am pregnant again and will be 5 months pregnant during this trip so I really want it to go smoothly lol

LOVE2bMOMMY525

Asked by LOVE2bMOMMY525 at 12:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Skip the juice and go with water. Juice has a lot of sugar and we all know how sugary toddlers are lol. I found a portable DVD player or in my case my laptop, was invaluable. You can't have the sound on but you can use headphones, though I found just having the picture was good enough as a distraction.

I flew with Xylia while pregnant back in October and let me tell you, just check the car seat. It's way too much to carry around gate to gate or whatever. You can rent a CARES restraint, which turns the airplane seat in to a 5 point harness, off of ebay for about $16 if you want, but I used it for 3 flights and not for the 4th and she did just as well without it.

The only other thing is try to be one of the last ones on the plane and make sure you use the potty or change his diaper RIGHT before you get on as it really is a pain to try and do it on the plane itself, much less in those tiny bathrooms.

Other than that, have fun!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 12:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My son is 16 mo. old and just completed his 4th cross-country plane trip. We have learned a few wonderful things in our travels. We pack a backpack with all of his snacks, toys, cups, blanket, diapers, books, etc. and stow it under the seat in front of us (so you can get to it quickly). If the seat belt sign is not on, don't hesitate to walk to isles if he is antsy. We allow our son to listen to music with headphones or watch a DVD on a portable DVD player. Since he isn't two yet, he can ride in your lap. But if you can afford it, a seat of his own will make it more comfortable for everyone. If you can choose your seats in advance (and are flying with DH), choose a window and isle seat. Sometimes the seat between is left empty and you can claim it for your little guy. If not, people are happy to trade seats with you to keep a family together. Don't panic about him screaming, just stay calm (most people can relate!).
    lupargman

Answer by lupargman at 12:47 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Also, don't forget that car seats can be checked in free of charge. Stroller can also be checked at the gate free of charge. It is often nice to have the stroller in the airport if you have a layover. Flying with a toddler isn't easy, but it certainly isn't impossible. Enjoy the trip.
    lupargman

Answer by lupargman at 12:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2009