Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why does soon to be ex husband want to terminate rights of our child?

we have a child together and i am pregnant with another one by him. well he just told me today he wants to terminate his rights for our child (who's living with him at the moment while i work overseas) so he doesn't have to deal with me anymore. he also says he won't pay me a dime after he does that. it seems to me like he doesn't care about our child to do it like that. FYI we are divorcing because he's abused me - not our child to my knowledge. he said he wants full custody or nothing. what should i do about this?


Asked by mrsary at 12:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Relationships

Level 19 (7,225 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (16)
  • I agree that you need to get your child with you immediately and need to keep track of statements like these for custody hearings. In my state (and most others), they will not sign off a parent's rights and responsibilities unless someone else is going to adopt the child and assume those responsibilities or the child is becoming a ward of the state.

    Answer by riotgrrl at 12:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • Let him sign over his rights. He wont have to pay anything, but then neither you nor your children have to be subjected to him, and if in the future you ever want to remarry, it will be easier for your spouse to adopt. If he doesnt want to be in your children's lives, than you cant make him. Just be done with him!

    Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:23 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • sounds like he is trying to emotionally manipulate you into giving up custody. I wouldn't let him get away with it.

    Answer by MythicMMM at 12:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • only the judge can terminate rights and after that he has to pay 2 yrs of child support, he can sign off his rights but he will still have to pay support.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • 50/50 or nothing he can not do that you stick to your guns and do the right thing with the kids.
    He is being a jerk with you. You better hurry and try to get some kind of child support from him even though he says he is NOT going to give you a dime he has another thing coming the court will not allow that someone has to support them kids. GL
    Start doing your homework girl it is going to get nasty hope everything goes your way.

    Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:26 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • I'd get him recorded saying that he wants to sign over his rights. If he's put that in writing --- in an email to you or something -- I'd get that straight to my lawyer.

    I'd also find another job asap. Leaving your child with a man who's made these statements is not going to make you look good to the courts. If he's abused you, he will abuse the kids, too -- it's just a matter of time.

    Answer by Laura1229 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • If he doesn't want rights to the child.. don't make him pay .. Just let him go,a nd forget it.. If thats the case, yo don't want him anywhere around the kid or having anything to do with yall at all.. Your kids deserve better than him

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • I'd be getting myself back home and getting my son and letting him sign whatever he wanted to while he's agreeing to all or nothing.

    Answer by lisa_ann_p at 12:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • So what does he expect you to do with the child if he gives up parental rights and you are overseas?

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • Give him the papers...hell give him the pen. If he said all that he doesn't care at all and both you and your children are better off without him. Sweetie, if he can abuse you, he can and will abuse those babies. Get him out of your life 100%. You might want to check your States laws on Terminating Rights however, I know most states will NOT allow it until you are re married and someone else can take care of you child the way a Father is supposed to. I know it's that way in Maine.

    Answer by happyathomemum at 12:47 PM on Apr. 8, 2009