Crying

Ok so I don't know what to do. My daughter keeps crying and everytime I put her down she only sleeps for an hour and I cannot get anything done. She cries all the time I can't eat breakfast,lunch,or get any of my cleaning done cuz all she wants me to do is hold her!!! I don't know what to do? She sleeps with me in bed cuz I can't get her to sleep any other way. HELP!! IS IT ALRIGHT TO JUST LET HER CRY AND IF SO HOW LONG?

laurendalrin07

Asked by laurendalrin07 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it is ok to let them cry and trust me i know its hard. i only let my son cry for about 5 min though and if it's the major crying i go to him. Do you have a bouncer or anything like that try? Anything to get her attention from you for a bit.
    gavinsmoma

Answer by gavinsmoma at 12:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Let her cry about 5-10 minutes or so. Give her something to distract her and see if you can't get her focused on something else. Try a bouncer or a swing or something. Or, maybe a snugli or a wrap, if you are desperate. At least then you aren't carrying her and you could still something like a muffin or a sandwich with out risking hurting her.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• How old is she? If she is pretty young, try swaddling... and look up "The happiest baby on the block" (book or dvd)
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 1:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Ugh... I remember this too fondly! my son had colic ALL day for 5 months. Depending on how young she is you can let her cry but otherwise I would rock my son and bounce him and asked for help with cleaning and getting things done - some things have to wait when you have a less than perfect infant. sleep when she sleeps - i did that til my son was 1 - He would sleep in his swing for the longest ( a whole 2 hours ) - and its ok to put her down when you are feeling overwhelmed and upset!! just put her in a safe place and go away so you don't hear her - like outside or on the deck - just so your cool off time is not listening to a baby crying too!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:35 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Hold her. It won't last too long. Research shows that the more a baby is held in the first 6 months, the less they cry in the second 6 months. Infants need to be held a lot! I know that in those first few months I ate most of my meals while holding (or even nursing) a baby. Same thing for cleaning and preparing meals. If it couldn't be done with a baby in one arm (or in a sling, or strapped to my back) then it didn't get done! Sleeping with her is fine, and can be a great way for both of you to get more sleep, just make sure you are doing it safely; See "Should I sleep with my baby" at http://www.llli.org/FAQ/cosleep.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• No, it's not ok. Buy a sling and your world will seem much calmer. You can get things done while she is happy and calm with mommy. You can nurse in it, she can sleep in it, and babywearing is shown to have wonderful effects. Allowing infants to cry has been proven harmful and ineffective.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:53 PM on Apr. 8, 2009